Contribution Compass Profile
Mr. Ewart has a GCC in Mechanical Engineering, a M.Sc. (Masters) degree in Engineering Business Management. In reinventing himself, he recently undertook a B.Phil. (Honours) degree in Renewable Energy and a M.Phil. (Masters) degree in Sustainable Development Planning & Mgmt.
Location: South Africa, Gauteng
Home & other languages: Afrikaans, English
Highest qualification type: Masters
University: Warwick University
Discipline: Engineering Management
Years of experience: More than 10 years
Division: General and Operations Management
Nationality: South African
Highest Formal Qualification: Masters:Engineering Business Management / Diploma: Project Management / N.Dip: Mechanical Eng
Other Formal Qualification: Masters: Sustainable Development Planning & Management
What is your current/ most recent job title?
What are some of your greatest achievements?
• As Operations Director of an advisory / optimisation firm, I contributed to the delivery of a seven-fold increase in revenue over a five year period.
• Execution and delivery of over 30 national, regional and international advisory / optimisation initiatives, delivering multi-million benefits.
• Provided leadership in the execution of operating strategies and business plans to; planning, materials / supply chain, manufacturing and field services departmental managers (including a 120 strong workforce), resulting in a turnaround in performance from 20% – 96% delivery on time in full, through a “back to basics” approach. Included liaisons with other functional managers (sales, technical / engineering design, finance) to address cross-functional processes, plans & deliverables in alignment with the operational turnaround.
• In line with a strategic review and development of a 2015 vision and goals, facilitated the optimisation of business processes across; sales, technical / engineering design, operations, dispatch and field services.
• Developed and implemented jointly with line management, a full business performance process (across all disciplines and management levels), incorporating scorecards and review mechanisms. Enabling all aspects of the business to take full control of business performance (progress & direction) at the appropriate levels of authority.
• Developed and implemented the firm’s sales and marketing processes and contributed to growth by securing new business development opportunities, extensions and referrals. Compilation and negotiation of numerous proposals and contracts in the conversion of client business goals and objectives into solutions.
• With joint responsibility with MD for P&L, prudent commercial practices and governance frameworks were developed and implemented – also ensuring profitable delivery of contracted professional services to a range of resource industry clientele.
• Contributed to thought leadership and development of intellectual property, through the development & maintenance of a dynamic Delivery Division & Project Management knowledge base, consisting of methodologies, tools & case studies that encapsulated sound business concepts and improvement techniques which could be packaged into workable frameworks for respective clients. Supported by quality associations and partnerships with national and international knowledge institutions.
• Development of an appropriate competency matrix, through the growth of a professional service team (Associates & Staff), covering content expertise and general skill-sets.
• Advised at senior and principle level with a ‘Big 5’ and served in interim management and executive positions, delivering several complex implementations to time and budget with multi-million benefits.
• Acquired extensive international experience across diverse cultures, in the delivery of numerous major business improvement projects across several industries in; the UK, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia and Tanzania.
• Acquired broad industry knowledge, through engagements with clients and ventures across a wide variety of industry sectors, disciplines and levels covering; manufacturing, packaging, HVAC, chemical, petrochemical, gas, steel, mobile telecommunications, Government (Home Affairs & Broadcasting), mining (Gold, Copper, Coal, Platinum, Chrome, Diamond & Zinc), mineral processing, civil and utilities sectors.
• In the execution and delivery of over 30 national, regional and international analyses & projects, advisory / optimisation delivery track record has included experience in; analysis (business case development), project design, piloting and implementation of industry specific solutions and quality management mechanisms. Focus areas have included; strategy (development, implementation / execution), formulation of business plans, operation readiness, operational effectiveness, throughput enhancement, supply chain (strategic sourcing & shared services), cost reduction, performance alignment & improvement (business & people), business process re-engineering, NTI&D, risk mitigation and issue resolution in developed and emerging countries.
• Acquired 9 years engineering (heavy industrial) / deep level mining experience. Experience acquired in various mid and senior management positions (Engineering Foreman, Engineering Supervisor and Sectional Engineer). Incorporating the securing, management and consolidation of capital and annual operational budgets.
• Provided leadership to numerous engineering teams (100 strong) in the delivery of maximum asset availability (compliance to sound engineering standards) in support of mining functions. This included; mid and senior management positions, artisans, technicians and maintenance operations & technical services teams covering typical engineering disciplines in the execution of operational objectives – in the delivery of technical support, maintenance engineering, defect elimination management and short term reliability improvement. Covering; infrastructure establishment, ore extraction (drilling and loading), men, rock & materials handling (horizontal & vertical 90 000 plus tons per month), underground transport, water management (distribution / settling / treatment / pumping – 30 Ml/day), refrigeration plants (40 MW), services / utilities reticulation & maintenance (surface & underground networks ranging a few kilometres) and ore Beneficiation (conveying, crushing, filtration, flotation, smelting and tailings). Compliant with relevant statutory, safety, health (OHS mining Act) and environmental regulations.
• Managed engineering resource pool for respective areas of responsibility, covering; efficient man-loading, relevance and allocation of skills, development / training, performance management and safety.
• Project management and operational delivery of major components of numerous brown and green field mining related projects (surface & UG) including infrastructure installations covering; civil, mechanical and electrical. Overseeing pre-commissioning and commissioning of facilities. Value of projects ranged up to R300M (1987 – ‘93) – includes the development of a new multi-million ton Platinum venture, utilising conventional and modern experimental Shaft sinking applications. Specific emphasis on strict deadlines and working capital cost control.
• Seconded to the Chamber of Mines Research Organisation (COMRO). Successful introduction, commissioning, implementation and monitoring of new technology – (Impact & Trackless a prototype Mining Systems) – delivering improved productivity.
If you were to illuminate your skills and abilities along with your greater purpose and passions in life, how would you describe yourself?
Visionary, strategic thinker, strategic execution and organisational alignment. Trouble shooter and developer of innovative ideas and solutions.
o Social and environmental sustainability / climate change, water, food and energy security and green economies, energy efficient / positive buildings and ecological design.
o Sustainable community development and urban planning; as with some of the worlds’ first attempts (Masdar / Abu Dhabi and Dongtan / China).
What do you absolutely love doing?
Dealing with high performance individuals in the pursuit of innovative ideas and solutions.
Pursuing high growth opportunities, contributing to the establishment of new ventures, researching new and innovative ideas to today’s challenges.