We are currently looking for a Smelter Supervisor to supervise the Smelter Secondary Operations to execute activities within the Copper Recovery Plant and Fluidised Bed Incinerator.
The Supervisor must manage monitoring and reporting of all the equipment and process parameters with the processes (material movement and storage, copper leaching, leach residue filtration and copper electro-winning processes).
This is a permanent position and preference will be given to EE candidates with a tertiary qualification and 3-4 years’ experience in the FBI & CRP plant.
Key internal customers:
- Is expected to come up with suggestions on improved practices within the team.
- Influences or changes specific administrative or operational practices in a team, section or department.
Key external Customers:
- Expected to come up with suggestions influence practices.
- Expected to influence or changes specific administrative or operational practices affecting more than one department.
- The purpose of this role is to supervise the Smelter Secondary Operations to execute activities within the Copper Recovery Plant and Fluidised Bed Incinerator.
- The purpose of the Fluidised Bed Incinerator Operator is to manage various equipment in the Secondary Operations safely as directed by management.
- The Supervisor must manage monitoring and reporting of all the equipment and process parameters with the processes (material movement and storage, copper leaching, leach residue filtration and copper electro-winning processes). Record and report all production data to metallurgical clerks and Process Leader.
- The Supervisor is responsible to arrange and manage preparation of stock count in a quarterly basis or special cases.
- The role requires a person who will work without supervision.
Job description / core competencies:
- The role of the Fluidised Bed Incinerator Operator entails the following but not limited to:
- Manage various process equipment in Fluidised Bed Incinerator in a safe manner or as directed by management with minimum supervision as stipulated form the work procedure.
- Report equipment process parameters to the Process Leader.
- Strictly adhere to all SHEQ legislation regarding safety and machine maintenance as well as chemical and lead hazards by wearing full PPE at all times.
- Alert the engineering department of any faults on equipment to arrange the repairs thereof in a timely manner so as to minimise production disruptions.
- Housekeeping standards are maintained high at smelter plant. All signs are conspicuously displayed, plant washed and stacking and storage standards.
- Arrange and manage stock count preparations. No written-off bags found during stock count.
- Required to manage & practice culture of safe work practices.
- Production Targets & Deliverables
- The supervisor ensures that all the process equipment in FBI operated in a safe manner.
- All process parameters are managed and reported to Process Leader daily.
Housekeeping standards are maintained high at FBI & CRP, Crusher plant.
100% participation during stock count to ensure correct labelling and proper evaluation of units. No written-off bags found during stock count should be encountered.
- All products received per month should be crushed at month end for metals declaration purpose.
- All the metallic received per month should be cut and sent to induction furnace for atomisation at month end for metals declaration purpose
- People Management
- Manages culture of working as a team to maximise Smelter Secondary outputs.
- Manages an effective transfer of skills within the department.
- Operational Efficiencies
- Drives timeous and accurate reporting through production logs & performance feedback on shift basis.
- Ensures that all products and by-products generated are weighed and sent for sampling for metal balance purposes.
- Ensure that daily production targets are achieved & feedback is provided to the supervisor.
- Ensure all the CRP&FBI equipment are operated in a safe manner and all the process parameters are monitored timeously.
- Ensure safe storage of material in bags and assist with stocktake preparations.
- Safety Compliance
- Implements methods & suggestions from the process leader (i.e., waste reduction, productivity, and cost management.)
- Correct adherence to SHEQ & operational procedures for the department.
- Manages that there is full compliance with the SHEQ procedures for people and equipment and product.
- Report incidents & near-misses timeously.
- Manages that all the process equipment is operated according to standard working procedures.
- Manages that all the process parameters in line with the targets set.
- Manages that the measuring equipment (pH metres and temperature probes) are calibrated daily.
Location (Germiston, Gauteng):
Job Qualification & Experience:
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Education & Relevant Years Job Related Experience
- Preference will be given to candidates with a matric qualification.
- 3-4 years’ experience in the FBI & CRP plant.
- Additional experience and qualifications above the minimum requirements will be to the applicant’s advantages.
- Dimensions, Skills and Knowledge
- Apply knowledge of skills required to perform a variety of primarily manual tasks.
- Apply knowledge of basic clerical, operational or customer service skills acquired through education, experience or on the job training.
- Knowledge competency
- Production knowledge-Fully understands the production processes.
- Equipment knowledge- Fault detection abilities.
- SHEQ and radiation knowledge- Able to adhere to specified standards.
- Thorough mechanical knowledge- Able to diagnose faults.
- Process knowledge-Thorough understanding of processes
- Skill Competencies
- Computer literacy- SAP and MS office and internet.
- Communication skills- Able to communicate technical knowledge to others.
- Risk Management skills- Able to identify and eradicate risk.
- Training skills- Able to train others.
- Administrative skills- Able to effectively manage the administrative paperwork required.
- Behavioural Competencies
- Honesty and integrity- A high moral code of conduct.
- Organised thinking- Able to plan and manage orders.
- Consistency-Able to perform in a consistent manner continuously.
- Work under pressure- Able to work under extreme pressure from time to time.
- Accuracy & timely- Able to build accuracy and timeous behaviours into work.
- Use initiative- Able to work alone and bring about solutions.
- Sufficient / in depth, knowledge of:
- Computer literate-SAP and MS office.
- Decision Making
- Problems are resolved to established procedures.
- Problems outside of established procedures are tackled first first efore referred upwards.
- Able to resolve production related issues with minimal supervision.
- Diversity of Work
- To manage administrative duties, SHERQ requirements as well as skills transfer to maximise operator multi-tasking.
- Carries out range of administrative, operational or customer service responsibilities.
- Types of Communication
- Ability to communicate, in written and oral form, detailed and technical information, guidelines and standards/ regulations to various audiences to ensure that they understand the information and the message, and to seek compliance.
- Detailed verbal or written instructions or requests to employees or contractors.
- Basic e-mail, fax or mail correspondence.
- Transfer of basic information to people inside or outside of the organisation.
- Transfer of detailed information/explanations to people inside or outside of the organisation.
Having been in operation for almost a century our client has grown from a local refiner to a globally recognised precious metals leader. They received global accreditation and international referee status.
They enjoy exceptional long-term loyalty from their people – their family; all with outstanding talent and immense experience.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Smelting Supervisor, Copper Recovery Plant and Fluidised Bed Incinerator – Ref: 1204104-2
To view our other job listings, click here.