We are currently recruiting 4 x Shift Millwrights with at least 3 to 5 years of experience in a similar role and minimum 3 years in Medium Voltage switching.
We are looking for professionals with knowledge of repairs and maintenance of all electrical and mechanical installations within the smelter business unit who can assist our client’s organization to improve plant reliability, increase equipment performance and minimize production downtime from unplanned equipment stoppages.
Job overview: The Shift Millwright is responsible for repairs and maintenance of all electrical and mechanical installations within the smelter business unit. The role holder will form an integral part in the execution of planned and unplanned electrical and mechanical work He/she will account to the Foreman: Electrical & Instrumentation. He/she will be required to work rotational shifts with other Millwright Artisans to cover the smelter business unit. The purpose of the role is to improve plant reliability, increase equipment performance and minimise production downtime from unplanned equipment stoppages.
Levels of authority:
- Ensure that all electrical and mechanical installations within the smelter is maintained and plant reliability is optimised.
- Eliminate equipment downtime and speedily address any occurrences to minimise plant downtime.
- Financial losses up to R100 000 as per work procedure.
People (how many employees does the position manage)
- Directly report to Electrical & Instrumentation Foreman.
- 6 peers – 1 off Instruments Technician, 2 off Instruments Mechanicians, 2 off Electricians, 1 off E&I assistant and 3 off Millwrights in the same department as fellow colleagues.
- Influences or changes operational practices affecting more than one department including the Projects, Engineering and Production work teams.
- Maintenance execution on electrical and mechanical installation related work within the smelter. The smelter business unit includes, but is not limited to, the arc furnace, BBOC, cooling water systems, induction furnaces, the blending circuit, and all other ancillary equipment.
- Support the process and operations to ensure daily, weekly, and monthly production targets are met, through high equipment availability and performance.
- FBI: Maintenance of Fluidised Bed Incinerator electrical and mechanical installations.
- Pre-conditioning plant: Maintenance on electrical and mechanical installations in the pre-con plant.
- Working under supervision of the projects team on all electrical installations within the smelter.
- Oversee the quality of work of all electrical and mechanical contractors as may be required.
- Primary processes: Process Leaders and their respective teams – maintenance and monitoring of the arc furnace, the BBOC, the induction furnaces and the blending plant with regards to electrical and mechanical installations to improve plant availability and reliability.
- Secondary processes: Process Leaders and their respective teams – maintenance and monitoring of the CRP plant, the FBI and the pre-conditioning plant on electrical and mechanical installations to improve plant availability and reliability.
- Maintenance Foremen and their respective teams – maintenance of ancillary interface equipment installed
- Reliability specialist – give support to all investigations as may be necessary for plant availability and equipment improvement
Key performance areas and indicators
Production targets and deliverables
- Adhere to all relevant SHEQ polices, rules and standards.
- Execute planned maintenance within specified time and give feedback to E & I Foreman.
- Support the shift production teams by promptly attending to any breakdowns within the shift, minimising production downtime.
- Conduct your work within acceptable quality to improve plant availability, reliability, and general housekeeping.
- Manage all maintenance work orders issued to you on time to ensure that weekly and monthly KPIs are met.
- Assists in cost reduction initiatives by reducing waste and improving efficiencies.
- Part-take in the RCFA as may be required.
- Ensure proper management of works orders.
- Self-management by:
- Compilation of own PDP in conjunction with line manager.
- Attend training interventions as per approved PDP.
- Ensure that you remain disciplined in line with the company’s code of conduct.
- Attend statutory training as may be required.
- Managing others by:
- Giving direction to assistants as may be required by your Foreman.
- Ensuring that all unsafe conditions are reported on time to prevent any incidents or accidents.
- Complete your weekly SAP PM work orders on time and give feedback.
- Execute all work within expected acceptable levels of quality.
- Participate in risk assessments based on external and internal influences.
- Participate in incident investigations as may be required.
- Report any incidents to the supervisor and/or via the pink cards system.
- Participate in any inspection or audit as may be required.
- Monitor and share company-wide similarities/learning opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with any instruction given with regards to occupational health and safety.
- Adhere to and comply with all relevant SHEQ polices, rules and standards.
- Comply with and ensure that all health and safety rules are met and act pro-actively by addressing any safety concerns which may be harmful to self or other employees.
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements.
- Ensure that good housekeeping is maintained at all times while executing your duties.
- Adhere to PPE requirements as per area of work.
- Maintain a high level of workmanship.
- Assists in cost reduction initiatives by reducing waste and improving efficiencies.
- Waste management and good housekeeping in the area of responsibility.
Location: Germiston, Gauteng
Job Qualification & Experience:
Education & relevant years job related experience
- Minimum qualification – N3 or equivalent in Electro-Mechanical with a recognised Trade Test certificate as a Millwright.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in a similar role is essential.
- Minimum 3 year in Medium Voltage switching.
Dimensions, skills and knowledge. The ability to:
- Focus on results through quality and safety awareness, managing work, planning and organising, time management, decision making and customer focus.
- Express potential through adaptability, applied learning, initiating action, innovation, impact and work standards.
- Interact effectively through communication at all levels, building relationships, negotiation and gaining commitment.
- Achieve goals by aligning performance for success, developing others, facilitating change, monitoring information, inspiring others, information monitoring, meeting leadership and participation and follow up.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings.
- Ability to identify and proactively address electrical faults.
- Knowledge and adherence to the permit to work system.
- Simple written instructions or requests.
- Have an ability to be a team player within the organisation.
- Verbal, listening, written, read.
- Communicate effectively to relevant people with regards to any maintenance information.
- Ability to work with other colleagues to build relationship and teamwork.
- A high moral code of conduct.
- Be a team player.
- Able to continuously perform in a consistent and fair manner towards all.
- Able to meet deadlines and targets.
- Relevant and useful analyses of data.
Sufficient / in depth, knowledge of:
- MS Office Package
- Computer literate – SAP and MS office
- Decisions, made through analysis, of best process, routine or system to get the job done.
- Decisions about best method, operation, correct use of tools to get the job done.
Diversity of work
- Work within one discipline at an interpretive level, manages major work area within a function.
- Carries out a limited range of administration – complete SAP PM work orders.
Types of communication
- Basic verbal or written instructions.
- Read and understand work instructions.
- Basic e-mail correspondence.
- Keep good communication with operations team.
Having been in operation for almost a century our client has grown from a local refiner to a globally recognised precious metals leader. They received global accreditation and international referee status.
They enjoy exceptional long-term loyalty from their people – their family; all with outstanding talent and immense experience.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR
Shift Millwright, Smelter – Germiston – Ref: 634872-46
Shift Millwright, Smelter
To view our other job listings, click here.