A multidisciplinary consulting engineering company has a vacancy for an experienced, professionally-registered Senior Traffic/Transportation Engineer to commence duties in Midrand (head office) as soon as possible. The incumbent will act as a technical authority (Roads and Transport Division) on all projects, take an active approach to business development and play a key leadership role in ensuring projects’ compliance with relevant statutes and regulatory bodies. The position will report directly to the Manager: Roads and Transport.
The ideal incumbent will hold a B.Eng/ BSc/ B.Tech degree in Civil/ Transportation Engineering (postgraduate qualification/ Masters degree advantageous), professional registration with ECSA/relevant professional body (Pr.Eng/ Pr.Tech Eng required) and a project management qualification will be an added advantage.
Reports to: Manager: Roads and Transport.
Primary purpose: The role is responsible for building capacity of junior staff members to ensure that the Roads and Transport department and projects are adequately resourced, ensuring technical delivery and is also involved in major relationship-building activities that will be necessary for the company to survive and prosper in rapidly-changing, competitive, business environments.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Manage design, planning and implementation of large public transport projects such as IRPTN systems both in South Africa or abroad.
- Assume responsibility for the development and updating of the IRPTN network plan which should identify suitable trunks, corridors, feeder routes and station stop locations, and traffic impact based on validated demand model as well as micro-simulation models.
- Assume responsibility for the development and updating of the bus, taxi, rail and non-motorised transport (NMT) strategy that identifies service improvements measures for the various modes that can be incorporated within BRT.
- Design of bus rapid transit systems.
- Design of non-motorised transport (NMT) facilities.
- Design of public transport systems.
- Interpreting and analysing data gathered from transport studies.
- Forecasting the traffic/ transportation impact of new building developments.
- Developing schemes to manage traffic.
- Using or overseeing the use of different analytical tools to examine traffic engineering data.
- Forming or overseeing the formation of potential solutions to traffic engineering problems.
- Using or overseeing the use of mathematical and computer simulation models to forecast the effects of required improvements, policy changes and/or public transport schemes.
- Writing or overseeing the preparation of clear reports and presenting options and recommendations on traffic engineering solutions to clients and/or other stakeholders.
- Actively participating in the growth and development of our transport advisory services team.
- Handling of all other administrative requirements on all transport advisory projects.
- Setting up systems and processes for IRPTN operations.
- Setting up systems for the monitoring and reporting on the functioning of the routes, stations and depots.
- Setting up system for the monitoring and reporting on the functioning of the routes, stations and depots/facilities.
- Assisting in developing the systems and procedures required for fare management at IRPTN stations and on IRPTN buses.
- Developing and implementing work processes and protocols as well as resourcing and deployment plans for IRPTN operation functions.
- Analysing data to support the modelling process.
- Adhering and implementing of the following within the Roads Division:
o Company’s delegation of authority.
o Project risk management procedures.
o Company’s ISO procedures.
o All other company policies and administrative procedures.
- Assisting the Team Leader: Transport Advisory with the preparation of methodology and pricing for tenders.
- Will be required to travel.
- May deal with difficult clients & service providers.
- May be required to work extra time.
Location: Midrand, Gauteng
Job Qualification & Experience:
- B.Eng/ BSc/ B.Tech degree in Civil/Transportation Engineering (4 years)
- Postgraduate qualification/ Masters degree (advantageous)
- Professional registration with ECSA/relevant professional body (Pr.Eng/ Pr.Tech Eng required)
- Project management qualification will be an added advantage
Knowledge and experience:
- At least 10 years’ relevant experience post registration
- Proven experience in IRPTN, BRT systems and operations planning
- Must have occupied a management/leadership role in the past
- Must have experience in an engineering consulting industry
- Roads design/construction experience will be distinct advantage
- Proven track record of business development or stakeholder management
Competencies and skills:
- Attention to detail
- Strong analytical & critical thinking skills
- People management
- Achievement orientation (results orientated)
- Proven leadership skills/ qualities
- Strong business acumen/ understanding of business risk drivers
- Excellent communication & negotiation skills
- Persuasiveness (ability to influence)
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Senior Traffic and Transportation Engineer/Technologist, Midrand – Ref: 1204245
Senior Traffic and Transportation Engineer/Technologist, Midrand
To view our other job listings, click here.