Our client currently has an opportunity for a Quality Technician to provide clear leadership for the development of an environment focused on Quality. Develop quality-process links with customers inline with the Quality Management system (including: TS16949, ISO14001 ISO 9001/ OHAS18001) Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Advanced Product Quality Planning (APOP), Controls Plans, Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA) and Supplier Quality Assurance (9QA) processes and oversee continued compliance and embedding across the business. Responsible for maintaining relationships with customers and suppliers to maximise profit potential and ensure efficiency, Manage the audit programme as well as supplier development and improvement and play a key role in ensuring project deliveries. Work proactively with internal and external customers. Lead a ‘correct at source’ and problem-solving methodology (Lean). Lead the team to achieve quality targets for customers and business goals.
Reports to: Operations Manager
- Implement all relevant procedures described in the Quality Management System (OMS) and ensure compliance.
- Ensure that all in-house systems and procedures are updated, revised and modified to meet the needs of external certification bodies.
- Respond to customer complaints putting in containment actions, analysis, poka-yokes (error proofing), and implementing short-term and long-term counter measures.
- Champion a program for the implementation and sustainment of a continuous improvement culture.
- Act as a point of contact for customer complaint issues and visit customers timeously.
- Update quality documentation and communicate to carry forward lessons teamed from quality concerns in new customer contracts.
- Ensure that all necessary systems and procedures are in place to satisfy all customer requirements and audits.
- Introduce new systems and procedures where appropriate.
- Train others in all aspects of the quality system and application of procedures.
- Undertake internal and process audits of the Quality Management System (OMS).
- Establish and refine quality sign-off instructions, standards and documentation.
- Report against agreed quality metrics on a monthly basis.
- Lead regular quality and scrap meetings with representatives from appropriate departments to establish an action plan for improving build quality.
- In conjunction with the Supplier Quality Assurance function, reduce the effect of non-conforming supplier materials on the production area quality.
- Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions.
- Produce written reports and make presentations.
- Undertake continuous training and development.
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems.
- Stay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the supply and demand of needed products and material and advise others of any impact.
- Develop, implement and manage key performance indicators (KPI’s) for each area of responsibility.
- Ensure KPI’s and met by working in the overall plan, including management of, and reporting Report on achievement of targets and identify any actions required.
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors.
- Conduct risk assessments of processes and tasks in the department.
Documentation and Reporting
- Ensure meaningful, accurate, timeous and complete information is recorded on all documentation relative to your area of responsibility and the compilation of all performance statistics and reports.
- Ensure that the branch complies with all regulatory bodies and preparation for audits are completed on time.
- Ensure that non-conforming product is located in the correct stock allocation and facilitate the disposal when approved.
- Complete non-conformance reports within the required time-frame.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensure that all Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are adhered to without compromise.
- To make recommendations on any improvements in the operational area that could impact positively on all related responsibilities.
- Ensure that the housekeeping within the area of your control is maintained and improved continuously.
- Ensure that the quarantine area is neat and tidy and all product within the area is identified.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as allocated by management.
Location (country, city): Durban, KwaZulu Natal
Job Qualification & Experience:
- Must have a Matric/ Grade 12 qualification
- A qualification in Industrial Mechanical Engineering / Quality Management studies will be essential
- 5 to 10 years’ experience in steel processing production and experience as a Quality Technician/Manager
- Membership to an industry related professional body would be advantageous.
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment will be advantageous.
- Must have own transport and a Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent Steel knowledge essential, especially automotive stools and associated processing methods.
- Must have working knowledge of ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949.
- Must have working knowledge of core tools > FMEA: Control Plans, MSA; SPC; APQP.
- Must be prepared to work shifts and overtime when required.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills, Must be able to communication professionally initially and externally.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, motivational and follow-up skills.
- Competent in problem solving tools (A3/G8D), team building, planning and decision making.
- Excellent investigative, presentation, reporting and analytical skills.
- Excellent Word, Excel and Power-point skills. Must be PC literate.
- Adhere to principles and values and apply good governance principles.
- Pay attention to the detail.
- Deal effectively with change, be productive and be a team player.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Quality Technician – Durban, KZN – Ref: 1114236-3
To view our other job listings, click here