Having oversight of a specific area and establishing a course of action within limits of company practices and guidelines, the purpose of this position is to perform the essential job duties and functions as listed below with the overall objective of establishing an execution framework on the project that complies with the contact and ensures the safety, quality, value, timelines and company profitability of the completed project.
This position preforms project management responsibilities on a small to medium sized, low to moderate risk engineering, procurement, fabrication and construction/ construction management (EPFC/CM) or services project (as defined by the business line) or on an assigned segment of a larger project, this role develops a complete understanding of the contract and any relevant subcontracts in order to provide full support to the project management team.
When acting in the role of a proposal manager, this position is responsible for managing completion of technical and commercial proposals, providing project planning, means the methods of project execution, schedule preparation, cost estimating, and proposal strategy.
Job description / core competencies:
- Ensure health, safety and environmental (HSE) is emphasized throughout all phases of the project.
- Develop a complete understanding of the company’s prime contract and relevant subcontracts.
- Collaborate in the preparation of the project in accordance with the company’s contractual obligations, operating system requirements (OSR) and the relevant operating system implementation plan (OSIP).
- Verify with the Project Director (PD) that projects requirements for baseline centric execution, safety, quality, cost and productivity are met in all locations managed by the company where work is being performed.
- Draft for the Project Director (PD)’s approval the project baseline (as defined in the OSR) and verify that it is fully documented, updated and communicated to the project team as appropriate, and match to company’s contract scope of work responsibilities.
- Support the PD to deliver the project in accordance with the project execution and commercial baselines.
- Other duties assigned.
Country: South Africa
Job Qualification & Experience:
- Accredited 4 year degree or global equivalent in applicable field of study and eight years of work-related experience or combination of education and directly related experience equal 12 years if non-degreed, some locations may have additional or different qualifications in order to comply with local requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively with audiences that include but are not limited to management, co-workers, clients, vendors, contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Infrastructure and mining and metal experience, preferably diamonds.
- Ability to learn and apply knowledge of applicable local, state/province, and federal/national statuses and guidelines.
- Ability to attend to detail and work in a time conscious and time effective manner.
Other Job Requirements:
- Support the project by providing an environment for the development and professional advancement of project personnel, including providing on-the-job and formal training and development opportunities.
- Participate in sales and marketing efforts as request Incumbent to be able to work in South Africa.
- Requires six years of experience as a project engineer or project specialist, or a project role of significant capacity such as project controls lead, contracts lead, etc. including one field assignment, plus three years of experience as a design or construction engineer on projects.
- Project or area management experience in international locations and diverse cultural environments is recommended.
- Demonstration of successful performance as project manager on a minimum of two small to medium sized projects or in significant positions on large to very large sized engineering, procurement, fabrication, and construction/ construction management (EPFC/CM) projects.
- Completed all required in-house project management courses obtained from university or other qualified sources.
- Good understanding of project design, engineering, procurement, material management, construction, commissioning, start up, turn over work processes, sequencing and interfaces.
- Project controls and finance including understanding of:
- Process measurement
- Risk assessment and management
- Code of accounts
- Work breakdown structure
- Change management
- Cost control
- Estimating process and planning
- Global pricing model (GPM), projects status review (PSR) and project margin analysis, Report (PMAR) development and reporting
- Appreciation of key elements of contracts law and when to engage legal
- Regulatory requirements including permitting
- Basic understanding of project funding
- Pro-active goal orientated with initiative to influence events positively
- Ability to resolve problems and to be comfortable in complex project or business environments
- Ability to set and maintain high standards of self-performance with responsibility and accountability for successful completing assignments and tasks
- Demonstration of innovation, initiative, maturity and sound judgement
- Ability to influence a group of diverse individuals, each with their own goals, needs and perspectives, to work together effectively for the good of the project
- Mobility – for example, relocating to site locations when necessary
- Analytical approach to problem solving and identifying potential solutions
- Technical and business writing skills
- Basic computer and software skills to include the use of word processing, email, spreadsheets, electronic presentations
- Certification in project management suggested, for example, project management professional (PMP)
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Project Manager III – Mining Metals, Woodmead – Ref: 1088044
Project Manager III
To view our other job listings, click here