The successful incumbent will take over tasks from the current Managing Director and C.O.O, allowing him to focus on other areas of the business, but reporting directly to the MD.
You will be tasked to establish and maintain existing harvesting and chipping systems, procedures and guidelines for the execution of capital and replacement projects, and will participate in seeking and evaluating alternative project proposals to ensure an efficient and effective Biomass production from invasive species.
The Successful candidate will be responsible for operational profit and loss, integrating operating plans, structures and culture of the harvesting & chipping teams within the Group’s objectives, values, policies and ethical codes. Providing site-based leadership in best practice management of the production activities on-site to maximise value creation for stakeholders by considering sustainability from a bottom line perspective. Maximising the forestry stumpage value amongst a basket of local and export products considering relevant market needs, production costs and risks, whilst ensuring sustainable utilization through appropriate planning and research initiatives. Processing functions to produce to local and export market demand at minimum sustainable cost, supported by engineering services that aim to achieve maximum availability of equipment and support optimal process flow of systems. Minimizing sales costs within the constraints of the triple bottom line and the need to ultimately maximise stumpage. Top talent, safe workplace and engaged human resources at site level with close community involvement and social capital value add.
- Manages and supervises multi-disciplinary project teams, responsible for Harvesting and chipping of invasive Biomass.
- Ensure that all the Harvesting projects meet all the stated objectives in the form of production performance, cost and delivery, legal compliance, safety and environmental.
- Develop, training, control and maintain project management systems , procedures, controls and guidelines.
- Establishment and control of the operating capital, renewal and shut project budgets.
- Provide technical support (mostly related to Harvesting & Mechanical Engineering) .
- Development of all the members of the Projects Department team.
- Understands the SHEQ requirements of the Section.
- Monitor subordinate’s performance against SHEQ requirements and corrects non-conformances.
- Investigates incidents (SHEQ) and identify root causes of Non-Conformances and corrects deviations.
- Maintains a high level of good housekeeping in the workplace at all time
KEY COMPETENCIES / SKILLS
- Planning & Organizing
- Initiative / Proactive
- Self-motivated, honest, trustworthy, have integrity and take pride in what they do.
- Be a problem solver.
- Highly organised and pedantic eye for detail.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Energetic and interact easily with people of all levels/ classes in life.
- Take ownership of tasks and have a “can do” attitude.
- Project planning and implementation – timber and other projects.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills.
- Advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, graphs, VLOOKUP, CONCATENATE functions, etc.)
- Knowledge of the Invasive Acts (CARA, NEMBA)
- Excellent communication skills in English and Afrikaans.
- Must be able to deal with conflict and difficult people in a way that doesn’t ruffle feathers.
- Strong IT skills.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- High EQ and must have great situational awareness i.e. don’t have tunnel vision – pay attention to what is around you.
- Core business processes and capabilities
- Organisational understanding
- Product and portfolio knowledge
- Understanding of Quality management principles
- Excellent knowledge of safety and applying safety principles as per the Safety Act
- Must be able to work under extreme pressure
- Good communications skills
- Good time management skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Problem solving skills
- Coaching / People development
- Decision making ability
- Operational management
- Innovation/Continuous Improvements
- Sense of urgency/results orientation
Job Qualification & Experience:
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Matric and a completed Degree – BCom Finance, BCom General Management or related BCom
- Computer Literate (MS Office Package)
- A Project Management qualification will be advantageous.
- At least 3-5 years supervisory experience at a senior forest and sawmilling management level
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a production/manufacturing environment – strong focus on procurement, relationship building and finance
- Own transport with a code 08 license.
- Proven strong leadership skills.
- Plantation forestry management
- Strong financial accounting acumen – numerical.
- General Human Resources exposure e.g. warnings, disciplinary, etc.
- Diploma/Degree in Wood Technology / Production Management
- Related work experience in Harvesting / Dry or Wet mill
- Technologically minded
- Basic Engineering knowledge
- Health and safety
- First Aid
- Working knowledge of divers high-speed machinery and plant equipment
- Understanding production procedures
- Physical stamina and strength
- Organize and plan the daily production to achieve targets
- Ensure that Production Planning and Plant Efficiencies (Throughput) are maintained as per company standard
- Ensure that Quality management standards are always maintained
- Ensure Cost control measures are in place and adhered to as per the budget
- Ensure that good housekeeping is maintained throughout the production areas by means of communication with all the people involved
- Ensure that the SOP’s and audit standards are adhered to and that they are up to date and functional
- Create new SOP’s where needed and ensure that they are approved
- Ensure good morale within the production department
- Give guidance, support and training to junior personnel and support them to improve their skills and knowledge
- Ensure good discipline within the department by adhering to sound Performance Management and Sustainability principles
- Accurately give through all production related information to the technical department and management
- Ensure that Vendor relationships are managed as per service level agreements
- Ensure that Assets are managed and maintained as per company standards
- Arrange work teams to maximise output for the day
- Assess output of teams at regular intervals
- Ensure work performed are according to standard. (Quality & Safety)
- Coach employees to meet the standard quality requirements
- Set up on the job training for new appointees
- Calculate and report production per shift
- Coordinate monthly stock count
- Analyse daily downtime & identify improvements
Closing Date: 15 September 2019
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partners MCHIR and Fevertree Employment.
Project Manager (harvesting and production of invasive Biomass), Cape Town – Ref: 1155869-3
To view our other job listings, click here