The project Engineer, with the guidance of the Project Manager, manages cross-functional teams responsible for delivering defined project deliverables on time, within budget and with quality results on a Project with medium to low complexity which might include engineering work, as well as low level effort construction on for example maintenance, refurbish, procurement type projects.
Heavy industry high complexity project programme.
Travel requirements: Core hours, on site work, office and site base mix. Office and construction on site environment, stay away from home for periods of time.
Job description / core competencies:
- Organize the work into manageable activity clusters (phases) and determines an effective approach to completing the work
- Take ownership of the development of the project scope, with the team prepare the project execution plan and obtain management approval.
- Co-create a project charter with the Project manager Lvl 1 and team, including the definition of completion criteria.
- Determine project goals and priorities with management program manager and/or project sponsors
- Assist in determine priorities among project activities.
- Assist in the effectively coordination the activities of the team to meet project milestones
- Proactively identify changes in work scope and ensure appropriate planning measures are taken with internal and external clients to reassess and amend the scope of work requirement, budget, and timeline.
- Involve functional expertise and specialist staff in design reviews and key decisions.
- Assist in compiling a complete and accurate estimate of a project
- Assist in managing the financial aspects of the project: budgeting, estimate to actual variance, small value capital CAPEX and operation OPEX projects, etc
- Manage relationships with project stakeholders (internal and external clients).
- Provide support in resolving issues related to client relations, project quality, and project risk and project safety.
- Provide support in overseeing the reporting activities of project performance and determining when to escalate issues.
- Provide inputs when analyzing the actual performance against the plan and make adjustments consistent with plan objectives.
Location (country, city): Limpopo & North West Province
Job Qualification & Experience:
- Relevant technical post graduate qualification
- Postgraduate qualification in Project Management
- 2-4 years experience in the following:
- Project Management environment
- Operational environment
- Project Engineering
- Construction Management (Advantage)
- Management experience (at least 2 years)
- Can communicate with team members, including relaying briefs, connecting daily tasks to larger goals, and providing context and support.
- Ensuring the team remains focused and on track, including addressing any conflicts or bottlenecks.
- Creating a vision around the project to provide team members with a sense of purpose and motivation.
- Offering less tangible and more emotional support to help a team stay focused on the goal.
- Fostering a workplace atmosphere that helps bring out the best in his or her team.
- Providing conflict resolution when pressure is high.
- Proposing and shepherding changes
- Creating solutions
- Be the custodian of change, create solutions, be a problem solver and a team integrator.
- Mentorship and coaching
- Attention to communication by ensuring that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed
- Expressing oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others
- Expressing oneself clearly in business writing
- Ability to plan and deliver communications that are impactful and persuasive with their intended audiences.
- Ability to notice, interpret, and anticipate others’ concerns and feelings, and to communicate this awareness empathetically to others.
- The ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects and solutions.
- Ability to develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships internally and externally.
- Demonstrates concern for satisfying external and/or internal clients
- Understanding of the use and application of business information and reporting systems
- Knowledge of the strategic and operational issues of the project or business unit
- Strong knowledge in the use and application of project controls systems and tools
- Thorough knowledge of project management principles and practices
- Project methodologies and Business management
- Project management with in a large organisation
- Industry Network
- Financial Management
- Portfolio management
- Human Resources
- Willingness to make difficult decisions in a timely manner
- Ability to perform with insight, acuteness and intelligence in the areas of commerce and/or industry.
- Finding effective solutions by taking a holistic, abstract or theoretical perspective
Self management competencies:
- Organization skills
- Requirement to meet deadlines and set goals
- Communication skills
- Facilitation skills
- Ability to function under pressure
- Administration skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Presentation skills
- Numerical skills
- Ability to instill trust
- Report writing
- Computer Literate
- Requirement to meet deadlines and set goals
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Problem solving
- Negotiation skills
Our client has a number of rebuild work contracts lined up for this year, with emphasis on project safety, on-time, within-budget delivery and to the required quality and standards. They have successfully managed and constructed small, medium and large projects in both Greenfield and Brownfield environments (established in the 1980’s).
Company with good moral values and standards going through a new growth phase due to exceptional service delivery and major project achievement award.
Creates environments where their greatest assets – people – are called, equipped and inspired to be their best, to join hands and collectively drive their purpose: Aim for excellence, service their clients and give back to their families and communities. Thus: the positive impact with a lasting impression of excellence.
Projects: from minor capital projects to major expansion process projects in the mining environment with a special focus on metal furnaces.
Have in-house knowledge to design and execute projects for processing and maintaining facilities from initial treatment of mined ore to the production of a saleable product.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Project Engineer reports to Project Manager, Limpopo & North West Province – Ref: 1206147-6
To view our other job listings, click here