Our client, an Environmental Engineering company in the Wastewater sector, is currently looking for a Plant Supervisor to be responsible for the management and control of day-to-day operation and maintenance of an industrial wastewater treatment plant.
The successful candidate will also be the primary contact between client and company and will need to liaise on a frequent basis with client representatives. The position also requires management and control over all site Health and Safety issues, works procedures and risk assessments. Where these are not in place, the Plant Supervisor should develop these for use on the Worcester plant.
The ideal candidate will have five or more years of experience in water treatment, wastewater treatment and/or biogas plant operation or similar industrial process operation is preferred, a technical or engineering NQF level 5 qualification or Level 4 Process Controller qualification, or a qualification or similar is preferred. Experience in supervising and managing operations and maintenance activities and staff. Ability to prepare and submit operational reports.
You will be required to work outside normal working hours, shifts, during emergencies and planned overtime.
Valid driver’s license (code EB). Forklift license would be an advantage.
Reports to: O&M Industrial – Manager.
Primary purpose: This person will be responsible for the management and control of day to day operation and maintenance of an industrial wastewater treatment plant; will liaise with the maintenance personnel for the planning of maintenance intervention and to mitigate the impact on the plant operation; will liaise with the plant operators to operate the plant and with remote technical support to ensure process adjustments are implemented; while striving to optimize the annual cost of operations of the plant.
Job description / core competencies:
- To supervise and manage the performance of the plant operators, equipment, and processes according to the operating plan and procedures.
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise, review, and participate in the work of staff responsible for plant operations and maintenance.
- Establish schedules and methods for providing plant services, maintaining and updating all operating and maintenance documentation and manuals.
- Identify resource needs; review needs with appropriate management staff; allocate resources accordingly.
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures; monitor work activities to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures; make recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards and procedures.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives.
- Perform the more technical and complex tasks of the work unit including implementing changes to improve efficiency and plant operation cost effectiveness.
- Coordinate laboratory sampling and analysis and ensure plant compliance with feed, product and waste requirements.
- Manage consumables inventory and chemical stock levels.
- Operations troubleshooting, data evaluation and interpretation.
- Respond appropriately and decisively during plant emergencies.
- Compiling and preparing daily plant operational data, managing the daily logbook, measurement and reporting of results. Writing of daily, weekly monthly O&M performance summaries and reports.
- Submit justification for system or facilities repair or expansion.
- Coordinate activities of third-party contractors to minimize disruption of plant processes – please take note of the safety requirements when a contractor performs work on the facility, the safety file review and compliance falls under a qualified safety office or senior manager with experience in safety to minimize risk to both company and the client.
- Monitor and adjust computerized SCADA system and process control software – only with process engineer approval or senior management a major change can be implemented, normal day to day adjustments to maintain water quality is within the scope of a supervisor and operators.
- Participate in the selection of plant operations staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the plant operations budget; submit budget recommendations; monitor expenditures.
- Represent the company during meetings with Clients, vendors and subcontractors – normally this function will fall under senior management, but the supervisor normally does have a daily working relationship with the clients.
- Ensure health and safety legislation and contractual obligations pertaining to health & safety are adhered to – safety systems can be maintained (after implementation) by the supervisor, but implementation of changes and continuous improvement should be done in partnership with the SHE Manager.
- Ensure total confidentiality of all information, internal and external, pertaining to the business of the Company.
- Manage overtime claims from operating personnel.
- Enforce strict control and adherence to critical spares inventory as determined by the Mechanical Engineer and Maintenance Manager.
- Prepare monthly invoice to the Client.
- Ensure that equipment are always operated as per the Original Equipment Suppliers – operating instructions and recommendations.
Job Qualification & Experience:
- NQF level 5 qualification or Level 4 Process Controller qualification, or a technical, engineering qualification or similar is preferred.
- Five or more years of experience in water treatment, wastewater treatment and/or biogas plant operation or similar industrial process operation is preferred.
- Experience in supervising and managing operations and maintenance activities and staff.
- Ability to prepare and submit operational reports.
- Required to work outside normal working hours, shifts, during emergencies and planned overtime.
- Be responsible, reliable and work independently.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy.
- Valid Driver’s Licence (code EB).
- Forklift license would be an advantage.
Large-scale industrial company specializing in water waste treatment solutions, processes and equipment design, construction, commissioning, operation, manufacture, and maintenance of water waste treatment plants.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Plant Supervisor – Industrial Wastewater Treatment Plant in Worcester – Ref: 981728-8 – Enshrine Jobs National
To view our other job listings, click here