Established in 1983, our client is a specialised manufacturer of a wide range of quality stainless steel tube and pipe for food and beverage, sugar, pulp and paper, architectural and structural, automotive, petrochemical and general purpose use.
They are currently sourcing a technically competent, self-motivated Planning Engineer with high initiative, irreproachable integrity and honesty. The ideal incumbent will hold a formal qualification in Production, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering, will have completed a learnership in either Drafting or Engineering together with previous experience in planning, scheduling and workshop programming in a Fabrication environment.
Reports to: Managing Director
Critical success factors:
- Ensuring Production are not kept waiting for drawings/cut lists/schedules.
- Ensuring that there are no errors on the drawings/cut lists/schedules that reach the shops and CNC equipment.
- Having no jobs rejected by customers due to drawing errors (Uncompromising Quality).
- Ensuring that you understand, apply and manage the applicable drafting and design codes correctly.
- Optimize material usage.
- Accurately estimate man hours and material costs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Protect the company by not placing it at technical, quality or commercial risk by careful consideration of the customers technical, quality and delivery requirements.
- Ensure that the Group vision of becoming “The Preferred Supplier in our Chosen Niche Markets” is achieved by working to continually upgrade the value and quality of company products.
- Show open minded team spirited co-operation with the Management Team.
- Keep the customer satisfied.
- Operate in accordance with the requirements of the ISO 9001/2008 Quality Management System.
- Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Protect all the Company assets (Land/Building, Plant, Equipment and Tools, Vehicles, Stock and WIP)
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Understanding the technical, quality and delivery requirements of the jobs to ensure customer expectations are met.
- Undertaking site and equipment measurements and converting them to working sketches.
- Converting sketches into neat and well laid out manual working drawings and CAD drawings to relevant standards and codes of practice.
- Applying the relevant drawing standards and good drawing office practice.
- Applying relevant design and manufacturing codes of practice and standards.
- Collecting relevant technical books and brochures to building up a technical data base to understand the group products as well as those from competitors.
- Being fully computer literate and competent on the relevant computer drafting packages, i.e. AutoCAD Lite and Auto CAD, Solid Edge, Inventor and any other relevant package.
- Being able to select, design and detail group products to customers requirements.
- Compiling Bills of Materials, item take-offs, preparing component details, and arranging material optimization (nesting etc) in liaison with stores controllers and workshops.
- Estimate man hours and material costs and compile quotations.
- Mentor and train learners.
- Undertake courses and studies to fully understand the technical aspects of the metallurgy, cutting, fabrication and welding of stainless steels, carbon steels and fiberglass.
- Ensure that equipment is maintained in good working order and safety criteria are met where necessary.
- Filing drawings and documentation in a neat, orderly and retrievable manner.
- Be proactive to changes in the workload so that adjustments can be made to optimize outputs and minimize costs.
- Ensure that housekeeping is to high standard of lay-out, storage, neatness and cleanliness, i.e.: a place for everything and everything in its place.
- Liaison and co-operation with the marketing, estimating, production, quality, purchasing and stores functions to ensure optimum completion of the jobs.
- Assisting management with projects where necessary.
- Any other duties required by management.
- Germiston, Wadeville, Gauteng and surrounding provinces.
- Occasionally outside the Republic of South Africa.
- Willing to work on any group site.
Job Qualification & Experience:
Minimum Educational requirements
- Matric Certificate
- Degree or Diploma Production, Industrial or Mechanical Engineering
- Formal qualification in Mechanical Industrial or production engineer.
- Time served learnership in Drafting or Engineering.
- Experience in planning scheduling and workshop programming in a Fabrication environment.
- Strong Computer Skills in the relevant design software, excel and Microsoft project, Primavera, AutoCAD.
- Excellent supervisory skills.
- Committed, hardworking, technically competent, self-motivated with high initiative, irreproachable integrity and honesty.
Established in 1983, our Client is a specialised manufacturer of a wide range of quality stainless steel tube and pipe for food and beverage, sugar, pulp and paper, architectural and structural, automotive, petrochemical and general purpose use
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Planning Engineer, Gauteng – Ref: 696241-69
To view our other job listings, click here