Our client is a leading project execution company with a focus on industrial water treatment plant design, construction, operations and maintenance. They are in need of an experienced Operations and Maintenance Divisional Manager to consolidate, manage and grow the operations and maintenance (O&M) arm of the business.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the establishment of centralised systems and procedures for management of plant efficiency, human resources, safety management, stock control and other management functions. In addition, the candidate will be assisting in ensuring the technical and commercial success of the O&M business.
The position is a senior role, and will be part of the Executive management team of the business, and the ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years of experience in an established O&M management position; preference will be given to candidates with experience in the water, minerals processing, chemical and petrochemical industries as well as a Bachelor of Engineering or Science degree in chemical, mechanical engineering or chemistry. Recognised General Management Qualification an advantage.
The candidate must demonstrate experience and a good working knowledge of typical O&M contracts and contract management and have a well-rounded knowledge of the principles of Business Management and must be conversant and demonstrate a good understanding of the nature of an O&M focused business.
Primary purpose: The establishment of centralised systems and procedures for management of plant efficiency, human resources, safety management, stock control and other management functions. In addition, the candidate will be assist in ensuring the technical and commercial success of the O&M business. The position is a senior role, and will be part of the Executive management team of the business.
Job description / core competencies:
The general management role of the candidate shall include:
- Sign-off on shift coordination for process controllers as proposed by each site’s Operations Supervisor and alignment of site personnel with company HR.
- Establishment of stock control and ordering processes (and alignment of these with the existing systems).
- Monthly reporting to both customer and exco.
- Development and management of site budgets and alignment of these with existing systems.
- Monthly payment certificates and invoicing.
- Contract management of O&M contracts.
- Implementation of proper maintenance and inspection procedures, stock holding, etc.
- Creation and implementation of operations and maintenance plans for each operation.
- Ensuring suitable (optimised) staffing levels for each site.
- Direct liaison in-house, maintenance support entity and process engineering support teams.
O&M Business Architecture
The operations are presently being run as discrete operations spanning multiple provinces. It is the view of the company that in order to grow the business effectively, the general management and support functions need to be consolidated and brought together under the same umbrella. The successful candidate shall thus be required to address the following:
- Investigate options and determine a suitable architecture for the O&M business unit where key special skills and background support functions are centralised (including but not limited to technical support, stock control, spares and stock management, financial management and general management, plant control for smaller operations).
- Drafting and implementation of suitable processes, procedures and templates to implement and measure the above. Visit operational sites as frequently as deemed necessary to effectively implement the processes, procedures and templates referred to above.
- Establishment of service level agreements with local service providers to enable geographical expansion of operations outside of Gauteng.
- Development of a global O&M budget with a focus on cost and performance efficiency improvements. Must allow for expansion and support of future business opportunities.
Ongoing Improvement and Optimization
Typically, these O&M contracts are punitive in the event of poor performance and incentivised for good performance. Multiple factors affect revenues or losses. The successful candidate shall be required to assess, address and optimise the processes such that these benefits may be realised and the risks of losses mitigated:
- Plant availability
- Chemical consumption
- Product production rate
- Final effluent charges
- O&M overhead costs
- Executing the above in a dynamic environment where clients may change their own processes with an associated impact on the operation plant and process. In accordance with this, the candidate shall develop and maintain dashboards to track and indicate these on an ongoing basis.
O&M Quality Assurance
The candidate shall be responsible for driving the implementation of acceptable quality management procedures across all operations. These shall include the implementation of Quality Control procedures for work, maintenance and associated activities. As well as ongoing Quality Assurance through the implementation of auditable procedures governing the activities O&M business unit. Help work towards ISO9001 certification. The O&M outputs on every operating site will support this undertaking and also support the main ISO9001 concept of continuous improvement.
Reinforce and nurture a culture of safety on site by ensuring that all aspects in plant operations are maintained as a safe working environments, through leading by own example, toolbox talks with site resources, reprimand where deemed necessary as well as a thorough understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Act 85 of 1993).
The successful candidate will be required to foster close relationships with health and safety management. Safe work practices and policies must be driven as key part of the value system. The development and implementation of safe work method statements, risk assessments and safety orientated works planning shall fall under the responsibility of the successful candidate.
Promote Company Ethos and Values
The successful candidate must exhibit an acumen for the development of soft skills. An active role shall be taken to align O&M personnel and activities to the value system. The successful candidate shall promote and align all business unit activities with developing win-win partnerships with all stakeholders founded on trust and empathy. The successful candidate must demonstrate a value system that is aligned with those of the company, which include: Family, leadership, honesty, wisdom and integrity. We strive to exhibit brilliance in everything we do.
O&M Business Development
Once the required architecture and systems have been established, the successful candidate shall be required to actively identify, pursue and promote the expansion of the O&M business in the SA water industry.
Location (country, city): Krugersdorp, Gauteng
Job Qualification & Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in an established O&M management position, preference will be given to candidates with experience in the water, minerals processing, chemical and petrochemical industries.
- Bachelor of Engineering or Science degree in chemical, mechanical or chemical engineering, or chemistry.
- Recognised General Management Qualification an advantage.
- Must demonstrate experience and a good working knowledge of typical O&M contracts and contract management (proof of qualifications would be an advantage).
- Must display an acumen for entrepreneurial and strategic thinking at a business development level.
- Proven track record in the development and implementation of systems, policies and procedures.
- Must be willing to travel, with a view of expanding the business throughout South Africa and potentially across our borders.
- Must demonstrate strong leadership qualities in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Must be visionary, strategic and systems focused. Broad based experience will be viewed as advantageous.
- Valid driver’s licence and own transport is a prerequisite.
- The candidate must demonstrate a well-rounded knowledge of the principles of Business Management and must be conversant and demonstrate a good understanding of the nature of an O&M focused business.
Large-scale, industrial company specializing in wastewater treatment solutions, processes and equipment design, construction, commissioning, operation, manufacture, and maintenance of wastewater treatment plants.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Operations and Maintenance Divisional Manager (Industrial Wastewater), Krugersdorp – Ref: 981728-6
Operations and Maintenance Divisional Manager
To view our other job listings, click here.