Our client is an international chemical sales company. They require a highly energetic, self-driven and independent Plant Engineer to manage the maintenance and engineering aspects of the plant to achieve overall equipment effectiveness and efficiency (GMR2 responsibilities). The successful candidate will be hands-on, well-organised with a keen eye for detail, will hold a B.Tech/Degree in Mechanical Engineering and have prior GMR2 responsibilities and experience in the chemical manufacturing industry. A fundamental understanding and working experience of risk management in a Hazardous Chemical Manufacturing environment is required.
This position is key to the company’s succession planning and may be given other assignments as part of ongoing developmental efforts. This site is a registered Major Hazard Installation (MHI).
Reports to: Director Manufacturing Excellence.
Primary purpose: Hands-on management of the maintenance and engineering aspects of the plant to achieve overall equipment effectiveness and efficiency (GMR2 responsibilities).
Job description / core competencies:
The incumbent will be responsible for the following inter alia:
- Engineering management – maintain and improve engineering performance;
- Design technology – develop and implement design technology to maintain and improve performance of plant and equipment;
- Staying on top of things through analysis and diagnostics to limit (repetitive) equipment failures;
- Onsite contract management;
- Plant-related SHERQ Management – ensure adherence and compliance with regard to OHSAct and GMR2 responsibilities;
- Annual maintenance shut downs;
- Call-outs, weekend work and extended hours is a requisite;
- Maintenance of the engineering maintenance database;
- Continuous improvement and project management – implement continuous improvement and project management initiatives.
Country: South Africa
Location: Outer West Durban
Job Qualification & Experience:
- BSc Mechanical Engineering Degree / B. Tech (Mechanical)
- Government Certificate of Competency (advantageous)
- 5 years mechanical engineering experience (3 years in a batch chemical manufacturing industry)
- This is a hands-on position that does not have any direct reports but will be required to manage on site contract artisans
Qualifying candidates must have (knowledge, skills and abilities):
- Excellent understanding of the chemical manufacturing industry;
- Be conversant with the entire manufacturing plant structure;
- Good knowledge of engineering and engineering design principles;
- Good understanding of contract management principles;
- Effective risk management; knowing when to escalate, defining risk mitigation plans and know when to invoke them;
- Must have strong analytical skills with ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Excellent knowledge of process safety, policies, procedures and legislation;
- Fundamental understanding and working experience of Risk Management in a Hazardous Chemical Manufacturing environment;
- Ability to effectively interface with all levels of management with excellent interpersonal and written communication skills to interact with local and corporate contacts;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to analyse bottleneck processes and support production in finding solutions;
- Technical knowledge on equipment standards, maintenance approaches and maintenance strategy development.
An international chemical sales company
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Mechanical Engineer -Continuous Improvement (Chemical batch manufacturing), Outer West Durban – Ref: 1084814-1
To view our other job listings, click here.