Manager Sustainability, Plastics Industry – Midrand – Ref: 717083-2
Passionate about the environment and the future of plastics in South Africa, our client is an NPO actively involved with the provision of accredited training programmes and driving environmental initiatives including recycling, bioplastics and other projects. They empower key players in industry to deliver solutions to challenges like climate change, water scarcity, resource usage and energy recovery, thereby driving the growth and development of the local industry in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner.
The successful incumbent will assist in the execution of the strategic direction, business structure, management and control of the organisation. The Manager Sustainability will facilitate the change from environmental footprint to environmental handprints of practice in the industry for a sustainable future.
Key strategic focus areas include:
1. Waste management (legislation, recycling and litter awareness)
2. Education and training
3. Resource efficiency
4. Information, communication and network
5. Smart growth
Reports to: Director Sustainability
Area of responsibility: Region A (Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, Free State, Kwa-Zulu Natal, North-West)
- Provide input for the preparation of the Divisional budget in terms of the agreed Divisional Strategic Action Plan
- Manage projects and activities in accordance with the Divisional budget.
- Compile activity income/expenditure reports for selected projects.
- Manage relevant operational aspects of agreements with fund providers and other stakeholders.
- Seek out and conclude new funding opportunities for the Division.
- Prepare operational action plans for each financial year and region.
- Identify, initiate and manage new projects.
- Create, maintain and build networks and partnerships that support the organisation’s activities.
- Promote the organisation’s sustainability drive.
- Define and manage new projects in terms of the Divisional strategy.
- Assist with obtaining project funding and support from Industry and other sponsors.
- Effective verbal and written communication through the projects and activities of the Sustainability Division.
- Research and knowledge – includes the writing of articles, development of brochures and “translation” of Government documents and plans into action plans for the Sustainability Division.
Location (country, city): Midrand, Gauteng
- Degree or diploma, preferably in polymer science or environmental management.
- Must be a team player who is results-driven with an ability to take initiative in managing projects and activities and ensuring appropriate outcomes.
- Basic project management skills with a strong problem solving ability.
- Ability to work independently and effectively under pressure
- Sound multi-level communication skills and ability to create and support networks and partnerships.
- Reasonable working knowledge of sustainability environmental management, educational programs and waste management matters and the application thereof.
The incumbent should have
- Minimum of 10 years Plastics industry experience, environmental and sustainability exposure.
- Had some exposure to and/or project management experience in the environmental/waste management sector.
- Knowledge of Government Acts and Regulations pertaining to the environment.
- Established networks and partnerships with relevant stakeholders in both industry; government and society.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
To view our other job listings, click here