Our client has an exciting opportunity for a Hardware Design Engineer to be involved in the research and development of new products from initial concept through to a fully qualified, robust prototype using sound engineering principles. All products developed will be competing in international markets and, therefore, need to be of the highest quality standard.
The ideal candidate will have a Degree in Electronic Engineering with 4 years experience in electronic manufacturing environment.
Requirements: Solid hardware (electronics) experience in Analogue and Digital Design. This involves Schematic and PCB design. Solid Firmware development experience with Embedded Systems and C. Experience in Compliance Testing for Certifications of Product.
- CPLD, FPGA Design experience would be advantageous.
- DSP experience would be advantageous.
Job description / core competencies and Primary purpose:
- Schematic and PCB Design
- Firmware Development
- Interfacing with other departments
- Design of electronic products from concept, technology research, full technical product specification, design of schematic and PCB using Altium Designer, design of firmware – right through to a fully qualified, robust prototype.
- Walking the product through the production facility during the first-off prototype builds.
- Full spectrum bench-testing and verification, environmental verification and Electromagnetic Compliance verification.
- Liaising with the Industrial Engineering Department to get the product fully industrialised.
- Training of Engineering Services and Test and Repairs Departments to be able to support the final product.
- Product Documentation on Specifications, Manuals, Changes etc.
- Firmware Development for Microcontrollers – generally done in C.
- Occasional PC Software development for testing purposes – these will generally be done in C / C++ / Visual Basic /Java/TCL.
- Liaising with the Software developers to integrate components into complete systems.
- Designing with DSP’s, ARM Processors, 8051 based Micro’s, PICs, Motorola Micros and FPGA’s.
Location (country, city): Pietermaritzburg, KZN
Job Qualification & Experience:
Requirements of the Candidate
- Minimum BSc Degree in Electronic Engineering
- 3 to 4 years working experience in an electronics manufacturing environment
- Solid Hardware (electronics) experience in Analogue and Digital Design. This involves Schematic and PCB design.
- Solid Firmware development experience with Embedded Systems and C.
- Experience in Compliance Testing for Certifications of Product.
- Ability to write or modify PC Based Software in Visual Software Suites.
- Ability to plan a project accurately given a complete specification.
- CPLD, FPGA Design experience would be a plus
- DSP experience would be a plus.
- Ability to impart knowledge of product and train Industrial Engineering, Engineering Services, Test and Repairs Departments at handover.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with departments within the company.
- An eagerness to embrace change and previously unused technologies.
- A responsible, self motivated individual driven to meet deadlines.
- A meticulous individual with significant attention to detail.
Our client supplies parking and traffic detectors. They have a presence in more than 50 countries.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Hardware Design Engineer, Pietermaritzburg, KZN – Ref: 1087148-2
– Ref: 1008853-32
Hardware Design Engineer
To view our other job listings, click here