Reporting directly to the Steering Committee of the Joint Venture the General Manager will be responsible to provide overall strategic direction for all disciplines in line with the company’s values and mission; ensure that relevant corporate governance and appropriate management systems are in place and continuously updated; and implement continuous improvement initiatives, projects and processes towards ensuring focused business growth and alignment with international standards and practices.
The ideal incumbent will have a relevant Degree or Diploma in Mining Engineering or equivalent; a Mine Manager’s Certificate of Competency; fifteen years operational exposure to the Mining Industry with at least five years’ experience at Senior Management level; hard rock Open Pit mining experience; knowledge and understanding of Open Pit Mining process and Life of Mining Cycle; and knowledge and experience of Nickel and Base Metal commodities.
Reports to: Steering Committee of the Joint Venture
Remuneration: The flexible remuneration package will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A full range of standard fringe benefits applies.
Job description / core competencies:
The incumbent’s responsibilities will include amongst others the following:
- Ensure the competence of teams responsible for the signing off of resources, reserves and other legal requirements.
- Manage and co-ordinate safety and wellness initiatives.
- Achieve production, safety and costs within the boundaries of the relevant rules and regulations.
- Provide overall strategic direction for all disciplines in line with the company’s values and mission.
- Ensure that the agreed business strategic objectives are met timeously.
- Develop, present and manage the agreed business plan for the business.
- Ensure that relevant corporate governance and appropriate management systems are in place and continuously updated.
- Communicate, motivate and build relationships at all levels within the organisation and all stakeholders such as the surrounding communities.
- Optimise the business plan to ensure the overall success of the company.
- Optimal utilization of resources.
- Identify and manage risks and opportunities for the business.
- Knowledge of all relevant legal requirements and compliance thereof.
- Implement continuous improvement initiatives, projects and processes towards ensuring focused business growth and alignment with international standards and practices.
Country: South Africa
Location: Mbombela (Nelspruit)
Job Qualification & Experience:
The following qualifications and experience may be considered to be advantageous for this position:
- Relevant Degree or Diploma in Mining Engineering or equivalent.
- Mine Manager’s Certificate of Competency.
- Fifteen years operational exposure to the Mining Industry with at least five years’ experience at Senior Management level.
- Hard rock Open Pit mining experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Open Pit Mining process and Life of Mining Cycle.
- Ability to manage mining execution against approved plans.
- Proven management skills across the entire value chain.
- Have knowledge and experience of Nickel and Base Metal commodities.
- Knowledge and understanding of SAMREC resource and reserves declaration requirements.
- Ability to liaise with all stakeholders, including the local communities.
The incumbent should be in possession of the following:
- Medical Certificate of Fitness (Red Ticket)
- Computer literacy
- Valid driver’s licence
Our client, strongly committed to sustainable development, is a leading producer of high-grade non-ferrous metals offering decades of expertise and innovative approaches towards day-to-day tasks. Large-scale investments are made to modernise their production process and greenfield development with rapid implementation of state-of-the-art technologies throughout the entire production chain, ranging from mining operations to metallurgy. As part of their strategy they develop tier-1 assets, they upgrade existing capacities to boost performance and build new environmentally friendly and safe production facilities. This approach helps them to unlock the unique potential of their assets, to be a reliable partner for their customers across the globe and to ensure sustainable growth and long-term development of the company.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
General Manager Mining – Mbombela (Nelspruit) – Ref: 1088744-1
General Manager Mining
To view our other job listings, click here