Our client, an established mechanized mining equipment manufacturer, is looking to build their Site Maintenance Contracts and Rental business through the appointment of a suitable leader to take the business to the next level. Key values: Strong entrepreneurial thinking, results driven, service orientated, safety, ethical, ambitious, energetic, motivated, intelligent, with solid customer relations capability, with a passion for providing cost effective service and safety solutions to the underground mining industry. An intimate knowledge of mobile machinery technics and commercial competence to build a strong flexible service contracting business.
The successful candidate will be:
- Passionate about delivering customer performance and making a difference in the mining production environment.
- Self-disciplined, systematic and measured approach to problem solving and customer relations.
- Self-motivated, energetic, responsible, goal driven, persistent and committed to spending after-hours time in getting the job done correctly.
- Above average intelligence, self-confident, with the ability to communicate well in the spoken and written languages.
- Planning and organisational skills necessary. Pro-active rather that re-active.
Job description / core competencies:
- Lead and manage the contracting business of Client Group.
- Focussed on Safety, Technical Service delivery and machine in-market performance according to customer expectations.
- All site management tasks, direct involvement in technical and labour related interventions.
- Manage long-term trial machine processes to ensure a positive outcome, ensure the necessary documentation, reporting and resources are available, facilitate the technical dynamics and integrational operating issues that differ from site to site. Interpret the reporting conventions and ensure the data is in a mutually reliable form which to base the close-out and concluding report. Ensure safety, integrity and maintenance of the asset/s.
- Engage with customers, including underground and site visits, on various machine technical operating issues, safety related concerns or improvements, design improvements, operating standards, ergonomics, aftermarket enhancements etc. with the view of maintaining regulatory compliance of equipment in service and feedback as part of an on-going product improvement program. Institute a formal reporting structure to document these on-going interventions and measure of customer driven KPI’s.
- Promote and manage the contract Servicemen technical competence initiatives, review knowledge gaps, institute product training interventions, assist in the compilation of training material and content, periodically review competency evaluations and up-skilling progress per individuals.
- Over-inspection of service contract sites, and site service men, vehicles and tools to determine if the correct standards of establishment, tooling and service delivery are being maintained, including dress code, documentation and procedural compliance, audit reporting, and other customer driven KPI’s.
- Thoroughly understand the operating methodologies of the equipment, including standard operating procedures, fault diagnosis, wear trends, site maintenance peculiarities, and safety risks, operating skills requirements, and best practices in order to guide the development of appropriate training material, and site specific operating problems.
- POC’s and ongoing data acquisition from operating sites, liaison with branch and mine site personnel to analyse and update comparative operating costs, make recommendations to customers, initiate interventions to remedy anomalies.
- Machine population records and operating data, commissioning reports, and life cycle costing data to be archived and monitored with reports to advise when machines are due for rebuilds or replacement.
- Safety risk analysis generic and site specific in consultation with customers to mitigate operating risks in accordance with regulations and SOPs.
- Build and maintain long-term solid trusted relations with customers, through reliable service levels, and constant effective intervention.
- The ability to work with other company and outsourced resources to achieve the sales and service goals, implement a continuous improvement programme to raise the site contract deliverables to enhance product performance and productivity improvements safely.
- Cost conscious and able to manage expenses and obtain value for the business.
Job Qualification & Experience:
- Formal Technical Qualification (BSc, BTech, Diploma Engineering or suitable commercial qualification) with minimum 5 years management experience in contracting industry (mining, agriculture and earthmoving preferable.)
- Government Certificate of Competency (GCC) – Mines and Works or Industrial preferable.
- Must be capable of establishing credible relations with external/internal clients, senior and executive management, project and programme personnel as well as subordinate staff, quickly and confidently as necessary.
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Clean drivers licence and willing to travel within South Africa and regional countries occasionally as necessary.
- A willingness and capability to head the contracting team as a full time, long term Team player with a thorough understanding of Mining market changes in legislation, safety regulations and customer needs.
- Flexible and adaptable to provide profitable long-terms service contracting models to suit varying customer requirements.
- Technical Report writing and communication skills necessary.
- An understanding or experience in the underground mining industry, with mining methodologies, understanding of equipment application, and the mining production cycle is an advantage, but not essential.
- General machine technical knowledge, maintenance procedures, safety controls, cost drivers is an advantage.
- Thorough understanding of the mine operating requirements in the industry is important, the skills level of service technical personnel, shift work management and KPI driven goals.
- The ability to build, train and develop a competent contracting service team with new technologies in the industry, measure and maintain capabilities.
- Execute contracts strategies in the market and ability to judge the critical success factors according to individual customer’s requirements, productivity, and safety and cost reduction.
- Computer literate and the ability to apply new data and communication Technologies to the role and information transfer.
- Personal integrity with functional code of ethics and moral fibre.
Our Client prides themselves in the ability to offer a full suite of underground mining equipment of the highest international standards. Drawing on exclusive technology partnerships with several major industry leaders throughout the world, our Client is able to offer the latest in cutting-edge innovation and product development to the market. Through collaboration with both the client and its international partners, our Clients engineers comprehensive, tailor-made solutions with their constantly expanding suite of mechanized mining equipment and their full range of well-established support services.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
General Manager, Botswana – Ref: 696241-61
To view our other job listings, click here