Responsible for day to day management of all silviculture, fire protection, harvesting and related forestry activities on two farms. This role will ensure optimal growth and quality of timber resources, and implement measures to minimize health and safety risk and environmental impact. Responsible for maintenance of all farm based vehicles and equipment.
- Implement silviculture program for the two farms as agreed with the Forestry Manager, including program for eradication of alien vegetation.
- Manage fire protection activities on the two farms, and other farms when required. Ensure all fire breaks are timeously prepared and completed.
- Ensure necessary maintenance and upkeep of all plant and equipment on the farms, with particular reference to all vehicles and equipment, new roads, labour housing and workshop complex.
- Contribute towards development of professional forestry contractor and staff compliment on the farms.
- Ensure a safe working environment, by enforcing compliance with effective health and safety practices.
- Ensure compliance with best practice environmental standards, including FSC accreditation.
- Enhance good image of the company, by fostering a relationship of trust and cooperation with neighbours and local communities.
- Manage harvesting-related issues with Harvesting Contractors, i.e. implementation of harvesting plans, checking all utilizable timber extracted, environmental compliance, health and safety compliance and accounting of timber volumes harvested. Regular communication required with harvesting Contractors. Ensure all required harvesting documentation (i.e. Tally sheets) is submitted timeously.
- Develop working relationship with all local service providers.
Job Qualification & Experience:
- Essential – Matric or equivalent.
- A tertiary forestry/agriculture qualification.
- A tertiary qualification in maintenance / mechanical studies.
- More than 5 years’ forestry experience on plantation level, covering supervision of silviculture, fire protection and timber harvesting activities. Strong working mechanical knowledge of forestry-specific vehicles and equipment would be an advantage.
Skills and knowledge:
- In depth knowledge of silviculture methods and operations.
- Timber harvesting processes, fire protection, basic health and safety vital.
- Ability to deal with contractors on operational level also necessary.
- Hands on approach to basic maintenance of company assets (buildings and equipment) is critical.
- Ability to work with labour and get results.
- Basic computer skills desirable.
Closing Date: 31 August 2019
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partners MCHIR and Fevertree Employment.
Forester – Creighton (Kokstad) – Ref: 1155869
Forester – Creighton
To view our other job listings, click here