We are currently sourcing an Engineering Manager with Underground experience (Copper; Iron Ore Beneficiation; PGM) to be responsible for Project studies from Concept to Feasibility as well as Project Execution with a specific focus on Underground mining. This role leads the engineering effort and is responsible for coordinating the individual Engineering Discipline Leads and the Project Document and Data Management (PDDM) Lead such that the most cost-effective total project solution for executing engineering work is achieved.
Requirements: Accredited four (4) year degree or global equivalent in engineering field of study and sixteen (16) years of work-related experience, a recognized professional certification or registration in the applicable field, GCC Mines & Works. Extensive underground and surface mining study/execution project experience. Experience in the following unit processes will be beneficial: Crushing and Milling; Flotation; Thickening; Filtration; Materials Handling; Fine Grinding.
- To provide the essential administrative processes, technical knowledge, and direction as listed.
- This position has oversight of a specific area and acts as a representative of the department ensuring technical accuracy in project execution in all phases.
- Promote company competitiveness by delivering quality services of unmatched value and technical competence.
- This role leads the engineering effort and is responsible for coordinating the individual Engineering Discipline Leads and the Project Document and Data Management (PDDM) Lead such that the most cost-effective total project solution for executing engineering work is achieved.
- Responsible for Project studies from Concept to Feasibility as well as Project Execution with a specific focus on Underground mining.
Job description / core competencies:
- Direct and manage the interface between Engineering and the other disciplines on the project including Process Engineering, Project Controls, Project Management, Procurement and Contracts, Construction, and the client team
- Translate global strategic initiatives into procedures to be implemented on projects
- Act as a leader in applying Cost Competitive Execution techniques and develop the most cost- effective total project solution
- Ensure that the engineering work on the project is completed on schedule, meets company quality standards including review meetings and checking procedures, performance is within the baseline man hour and material budgets, required deliverables are produced, change management is executed in a timely manner, and Engineering Department Managers are apprised of issues related to their function
- Work with Discipline Leads and Engineering Department Managers to ensure that staffing levels are appropriate to achieve the engineering schedule commitments and personnel are assigned with appropriate ability
- Develop estimates, schedules, progress reports, and key quantity tracking reports
- Develop and review project Scope of Services, Scope of Facilities, and other project baseline documents for all phases of projects
- Lead the squad check effort for vendor equipment documentation
- Review the status of the schedule and progress performance with the Discipline Leads on a regular basis, and keep the Project Manager and Engineering Department Managers apprised of issues
- Ensure the quality of the engineering execution and deliverables
- Incorporate health, safety, and environmental factors in design
- Coordinate the identification, monitoring and forecasting of project material quantities
- Ensure that the engineering discipline leads are internally aligned and adequately interfacing with one another, and provide input to engineering departments regarding work process issues and opportunities for improvement
- Develop appropriate work distribution plans and ensure that appropriate measures are taken such that work performed in other offices or other designated entities performing
- Distributed Execution Engineering is completed on time and within budget, and that it meets company quality standards
- Ensure the completion of required design reviews
- Prepare/review scopes of work for third party contracts
- Identify deviations in job scope, estimate magnitude of changes, and initiate trends or change orders
- Direct and oversee audits prepared by the Engineering Management Department as well as the Discipline Engineering Departments
- Engage in company global community, promoting a One company mind-set
- Lead, promote and support the project value creation effort
- Deliver quality work, and adhere to the Operating System Requirements (OSR)
- Execute project work in accordance with approved Activity Plans
- Adhere to industry codes and standards as well as department practices and procedures
- Contribute to and promote the use of company knowledge management portals and communities
- Other Duties as Assigned
Location (country, city): Woodmead, Gauteng
Job Qualification & Experience:
- Accredited four (4) year degree or global equivalent in engineering field of study
- GCC Mines & Works
- A recognized professional certification or registration in the applicable field
- 16 years of work-related experience
- Extensive underground and surface mining study/execution project experience
- Experience in the following commodities:
- Iron Ore Beneficiation
- Experience in the following unit processes will be beneficial:
- Crushing and Milling
- Materials Handling
- Fine Grinding
- Strong people management and technical skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with audiences that include but are not limited to management, co-workers, clients, vendors, contractors, and other stakeholders
- Job related technical knowledge necessary to complete the job
- Ability to learn and apply knowledge of applicable local, state/province, and federal/national statutes and guidelines
- Ability to attend to detail and work in a time-conscious and time-effective manner
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Engineering Manager (Underground Mining), Woodmead, Gauteng – Ref: 951154
Engineering Manager (Underground Mining)
To view our other job listings, click here