Would working for one of Fortune Magazine’s joint winners of “the world’s most admired companies to work for in the category of Engineering and Construction” be of interest?
Our client, a well-known provider of professional technical and construction services with revenues of nearly $10 billion, has an opportunity for an Engineering Manager – Capital Projects. You will have single point accountability for the Technical Track and related aspects to achieve the project objectives.
The successful incumbent will hold a BTech, MTech, BSc Engineering or BEng and have over twelve years Petrochemical experience.
Ensure alignment of people’s thinking and total engineering effort through all the phases
- Project framing (including scope optimisation and obtaining agreement on aspects from stakeholders).
- Facilitate the development of an integrated engineering discipline plan and ensure execution aimed at passing gate 3 and gate 4 readiness reviews and subsequent execution phase, through to successful commissioning and beneficial operation.
- Facilitate the development of an integrated engineering quality plan for each BD&I model phase.
- Define end-of-job (EOJ) documentation requirements and ensure compliance.
Compile and manage scope of facility
- Obtain agreement at framing meeting of outline scope of facilities.
- Contract scope with all stakeholders.
- Review cost estimate and cost contingencies and obtain stakeholder agreement.
- Manage scope, obtain stakeholder agreement on scope changes and best solutions for changes.
- Consult on capital cost risk assessment and agree estimating and risk contingencies.
- Scope optimisation, including application of value improvement practices (VIP’s).
Compile engineering execution plan (EEP)
- Team mobilisation / demobilization.
- Jointly with PM facilitate a kick off meeting and contract roles, tasks, execution strategy, objectives, ground rules, per phase per discipline.
- Develop a communication policy and plan.
- Sanction an assumptions document and clarify assumptions with engineering team.
- Agree VIP plan with various stakeholders.
- Draft overall engineering quality plan.
- Define technical risk management plan.
- Reach agreement on EEP with stakeholders.
- Manage assumptions.
Compile scope of services and evaluate bids
- Present and obtain agreement with PM and Business tracks on contracting packages.
- Contract technical deliverables for specific packages amongst relevant stakeholders.
- Present technical conclusions at combined bidder selection meeting and present recommendations.
- Compile and agree on vendors and bidders’ lists.
Manage and mitigate technical risk
- Pro-active evaluation of project activities on a continual basis to enable effective and ongoing risk mitigation.
- Contract risk management approach with business owner.
- Contract integrated technical risk plan with project management team (PMT) and other stakeholders.
- Jointly with project manager (PM) get approval from steering committee of integrated risk plan.
- Identify, quantify, assess and mitigate new technical risk factors.
Manage the definition and implementation of quality requirements per project phase
- Contract quality requirements with PMT and business owner.
- Facilitate agreement of a quality plan per engineering discipline, including hold points for implementation for each BD&I phase.
- Facilitate implementation of engineering quality plan.
- Agree project engineering specifications with engineering disciplines and business owner.
- Facilitate clarification and alignment of all parties on technical requirements/specifications, including suppliers and external stakeholders.
Team management and leadership
- Selection of appropriate team members to for a knowledgeable and coherent team.
- Build and continuously maintain team harmony, effectiveness, alignment, continuity.
- Make input in team member performance agreement and evaluation.
- Ensure effective communication between team members, contractor/suppliers, other internal and external stakeholders.
- Labour relations.
- Coaching and mentoring.
Purpose of Role/Role Intent
- Leverage the understanding of team, customers, suppliers, internal and external stakeholders to improve project results.
- Maintain and build relationships which are on a high standard of trust driving respect, openness and credibility.
- Conduct appropriate assessments to measure internal customer satisfaction and ensure continuous improvement plans are in place.
- Build win-win relationships with customers, suppliers, stakeholders and networks.
- Maintain and develop internal and external functional networks that contributes directly to results.
- Allow tracking/auditing of performance.
- Realise the business intent of a project by leading, facilitating and coordinating multi-disciplinary technical, SHE (safety, health, environment) and engineering track activities across the total BD&I (business development and integration) process, from pre-feasibility (gate 2) through feasibility, basic development, execution and start-up to evaluation (gate 7).
- Ensure overall project technical quality and conformance to plan (scope, budget & schedule).
- Ensure Technical Track governance and legal compliance (clarification, alignment, audits & inspections). Management of external stakeholders/supplier relationships and contracts.
- Integration, management and coordination of Technical Track activities, team members, contractors, suppliers, plant owner, internal & external stakeholders & interfaces with other tracks.
- Compilation & management of Scope of Facilities (i.e. interpretation of business needs, definition, facility breakdown structure.
- Value improvement practices, change management, alignment across team members, contractors, suppliers, plant owner, internal & external stakeholders & interfaces with other tracks).
- Compilation of Scope of Service (i.e. definition, work breakdown structure, contracting strategy, bid evaluations, management).
- Technical Track quality management (philosophy, facilitation & compilation of ETQP [engineering track quality plan], agreed project engineering specifications, deviation and concession management, assumption management, end-of-job documentation, etc.)
- Technical Track risk management (risk management strategy & philosophy, identification, assessment, analysis, preventive & corrective actions, reporting, etc.)
- Engineering Execution Plan (engineering execution strategy, plan, do, review, integration with PEP [project execution plan], resources, etc.)
- Technical innovation and optimisation (VIP facilitation and implementation, scope optimisation, agreed project engineering specifications, optimal integration into existing facilities, etc.)
- Ensure setting and upholding of sound engineering & maintenance practices and procedures.
- Ensure ISO and SHEQ policies and procedures are conformed to.
- Ensure compliances with relevance legistation / municipalities (e.g. waste material handling, building plans).
Country: South Africa
Job Qualification & Experience:
BTech, MTech, BSc (Engineering) or BEng.
Master’s in Project or Engineering Management.
Business qualification (advantageous).
Minimum 12 + years’ relevant industry experience, with exposure to multi-disciplinary project management and execution as well as detail engineering and applicable training and development.
Our client is a well-known provider of professional technical and construction services.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Engineering Manager (Petrochem), Secunda – Ref: 1085458-5
To view our other job listings, click here