Our client is a proudly South African manufacturer of plastic products and packaging materials. They are currently sourcing a qualified, trade tested Toolmaker with excellent work ethic, plastic injection mould experience (thin-wall injection moulding will be an added advantage), with Edgecam software experience (essential) and that is proficient in programming and operating Haas controls. Their ideal incumbent must have knowledge on 3D modelling software (Inventor, SolidWorks or similar) and be capable of programming, setting-up and operating all their CNC machines.
Job description / core competencies:
- Mould maintenance, repairs, modifications, etc. (planned and breakdown).
- Once a mould is completed, to be present during start up at the machine to ensure mould runs as required, and quality is accepted and passed by QC.
- Tool maintenance and inspections during and between production runs.
- Attending promptly to machine stoppages or breakdowns in the production area.
- Maintaining quality of injection moulded products.
- Organising raw materials, tool and cutter selection, programming, setting up and operation of CNC machines, and other equipment required to successfully complete jobs.
- Efficient operation of CNC machines, conventional lathes, milling machines, surface grinders, spark eroders, drill presses, bench grinders and any other tools and equipment required for the job.
- Housekeeping of your working area and cleanliness of machines. Routine cleaning of CNC monthly.
- Providing expertise on development work (product and mould design).
- Identifying and sorting out safety areas of concern.
- Visual checking of manufactured articles on a spot check basis.
- Recording of all related reports in the format given to you by your Manager.
- Shift hand over.
- Training of staff.
- Assisting in other departments when required.
Key Performance Areas:
- Programming, setting-up and operating of CNC machines.
- Proper cutter selection for specific application.
- Minimized idle time.
- Maintain high quality standards at all times.
- Cutting tool management by ensuring that the correct cutters be available at all times.
- Maintain and modify existing moulds as well as manufacture/design new tools.
- Maintain tight tolerances.
- Attend to breakdowns at all times, including after hours support. Weekends, public holidays, etc. included.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Refurbish tooling to standard specifications.
- Repair breakdowns.
- Assist with tool-related problems.
- Help with troubleshooting.
- Ready to do standby on weekends, public holidays, after hours, etc. is essential.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Maintain safety, hygiene and housekeeping standards.
- Possibility of working shifts.
General Shift times:
- Monday to Friday 07:00 – 18:00
- Saturday 7:00 – 13:00
- And/or Mon to Fri 20:00 – 07:00
You may be required on standby out of the above times.
You may be asked to work shifts on a weekly rotation basis.
You will be allowed a total of one hour’s break for lunch, smoking, etc. during the above times.
Weekends and public holidays, as and when required.
You may also be called in to attend to plant breakdowns out of the above times.
Once the CNC is running, you will attend to breakdowns or any other work that is priority in the department.
Overseeing all repairs, maintenance, modifications carried out by colleagues in toolroom.
Must have own, reliable transport and valid driver’s license.
Country: South Africa
Job Qualification & Experience:
- Qualified Trade Tested Toolmaker.
- Proficiency in programming and operating Haas controls.
- Computer literacy.
- Min 2-3 years relevant experience in plastic injection moulding.
- Min 2-3 years relevant general toolroom working experience including hand work.
- Must be able to read and interpret technical drawings.
- Experience in Edgecam essential.
- Must have knowledge on 3D modelling software (Inventor, SolidWorks or similar).
- Experience in thin-wall injection moulding will be added advantage.
A proudly South African plastics and packaging manufacturer, based Johannesburg, with a national distribution network which includes warehousing and distribution centres in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
Areas of operation include rigid packaging, engineering and recycling. Rated in the top 300 BEE Companies in South Africa with more than 250 employees.
Established in the 1980’s they have been serving the South African market with a wide range of plastic products and packaging materials for over 35 years. Their biggest clients include companies in the food, ice-cream, paint and chemical industries
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.