Our client is looking for an experienced Civil Engineer with a well-rounded understanding of civil works, as well as a good working knowledge of the FIDIC suite of contracts.
The appointment would be a fixed-term contract, with the possibility of permanent employment should the company be in a position to offer it. The duration of the contract would be 12-months with a view to establish a longer-term relationship with the company.
Requirements: BEng/BScEng/BTech in Civil Engineering, working understanding and interpreting of the various GCC & FIDIC forms of Contract along with 4 years of related civil works experience; 2 years of experience with performing civil works on mines; 2 years of experience in completing detail designs, generate technical reports, generate detail construction drawings and generate BOQ’s; 3 years of experience on the design and construction of reinforced concrete structures which exceed a footprint of 300m2; 3 years of experience in the management of multiple civil sub-contractors; 3 years of experience in completing projects safety, within time, to the specified quality standards and within the project budget; 3 years of experience in planning, scheduling, organising and managing civil engineering activities on site.
Type: 12-month contract
Health requirements: Must pass medical fitness screening to work on a construction site. Must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, either the one-shot Johnson and Johnson vaccine or the two-shot Pfizer vaccine (no exceptions are accepted by the project Client)
Transport requirements: The successful candidate must have his own reliable transportation which will enable him to travel timeously from the accommodation to the work site, perform the required duties and enable him to attend Client meetings off site.
Job description / core competencies:
A competent, detail, positive, self-driven person, who takes responsibility with minimum instruction to ensure the work is performed safely, to the required quality specification, within the project timeline and within the project budget allocation. A person who can continuously plan ahead, identify possible issues, problem solve, communicate clearly and can adapt to a situation as required from this position.
Typical tasks for this role:
- Attend sub-contractor toolbox talks,
- Go over the daily targets with the sub-contractors,
- Ensure all safety requirements are met to ensure the planned work can be performed safely,
- Resolve any event which may delay or prevent the sub-contractor from performing the work,
- Prepare, write and submit works method statements,
- Review and interpret the construction drawings,
- Ensure the require plant, equipment, material, tools and labour are organised for the planned work,
- Check and confirm the setting out of the works,
- Inspect and ensure that the works are being completed to the required quality standards, communicate and record any corrections which may be required,
- Communicate to the Engineer any outstanding information or details required to complete the works,
- Ensure that the required tests on the works and material certificates are performed when required and that the information is communicated timely to the Engineer,
- Record and continuously build the works data book file as required by the Engineer,
- Plan, schedule and facilitate the prescribed inspections by client and the Engineer,
- Review and submit for approval the sub-contractors monthly progress claims,
- Prepare and submit for approval to the project manager the required information to enable the preparation of monthly progress claims to the client,
- Prepare and submit to the project manager the required information for the weekly/monthly progress reports to the client,
- Collect, prepare and submit for approval claims or variation orders on the works,
- Notify the project manager in a timely manner of any event or information which might affect the quality, time to complete or cost of the works
- Attend meetings,
- Record and save the daily diary information,
- Establish, build and maintain at all times good relationship with all stakeholders,
Location (country, city): Mokopane, Limpopo
Job Qualification & Experience:
- BEng/BScEng/BTech in Civil Engineering
- At least 4 years of related civil works experience,
- At least 2 years of experience with performing civil works on mines,
- At least 2 years of experience in completing detail designs, generate technical reports, generate detail construction drawings and generate BOQ’s
- At least 3 years of experience on the design and construction of reinforced concrete structures which exceed a footprint of 300m2
- At least 3 years of experience in the management of multiple civil sub-contractors
- At least 3 years of experience in completing projects safety, within time, to the specified quality standards and within the project budget.
- At least 3 years of experience in planning, scheduling, organising and managing civil engineering activities on site.
- Working understanding and interpreting of the various GCC & FIDIC forms of Contract
- Writing of letters or notifications to the Engineer or the Employer
- Know how to mitigate issues and resolve problems
- Know how to work with other people
- Comprehensive understanding of the Civil Engineer Construction Industry and standard practices
- Works prioritisation
- Detail design of civil engineering works, particularly reinforced concrete structures and water retaining structures,
- Technical report writing & progress report writing,
- Ability to conduct field inspections, survey, setting out and measurements civil engineering Works,
- Computer literacy (MS Office & Projects, Civil Designer or AutoCAD),
- Strong verbal, written and communication skills in English with the ability to clearly communicate technical matters to a wide range of audiences,
- Calm and collected when under pressure,
- Relationship building,
- Negotiation skills,
- Detail focused,
- Time management,
- Stress management,
- Health management,
- Planning, organising and scheduling of civil engineering works,
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Civil Engineer, Wastewater Treatment (12-month contract) – Mokopane, Limpopo – Ref: 981728-16
To view our other job listings, click here