With experience in Mechanical, Process, Metallurgical, Electrical, Control & Instrumentation, Piping, Civil & Structural Engineering our client is a multi-disciplinary ‘total solutions provider’ offering engineering, project management, construction and O&M to the mining and minerals, construction, industrial, energy and power sectors in South and Southern Africa.
Manages conceptual development, design, engineering, construction through to commissioning and commercial operation. Supplies permanent, innovatively engineered solutions and complete services to establish construction, processing, material handling and environmental control.
Looking for the services of a highly motivated Civil & Structural Engineer to carry out the business objectives of the company in a cost-effective manner. Reporting directly to the Engineering Manager and working closely with other engineers, the Civil/Structural Engineer with extensive experience in the Mining and Metals industry will be office based and required to work on sites to support construction as required by the project.
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Support integration of project engineering initiatives across the different project management offices.
- Support the approval of engineering designs and provide specialist engineering input.
- Manage compliance with environmental and social requirements relevant to the discipline, including commitments to stakeholders.
- Create safety reports and manage analysis of KPIs based on available data.
- Identify environmental and social opportunities as well as monitor sustainability initiatives.
- Analyse alignment of engineering designs with specifications and conduct audits of the quality and constructability of engineering designs.
- Responsible for the civil and structural engineering detail design on mining and minerals processing plant projects / studies, including professional sign off.
- Coordinate and supervise design functions within projects / studies.
- Undertake technical reviews / audits to ensure that designs are in accordance with project / study requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Provide coaching and guidance to less experienced staff, engineers and designers to increase technical competence, as well as knowledge of systems and procedures.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the company Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
- Accountable that the quality and content of deliverables of the structural design discipline are in line with the needs of the client and regulatory authorities and responsible for engineering content, discipline design drawings and technical documents within a project / study.
- Responsible for preparation and / or review of engineering deliverables including technical specifications, contract specifications, design criteria, calculations, reports, evaluations and other documents required by the project / study.
- Input to capital estimates including quantity calculations. Set and review man-hour budgets for engineering and drafting, recommend engagement of additional manning as required.
- Monitor the progress and performance of project discipline teams. Provide feedback and support where necessary.
- Oversee and manage design scope changes.
- Provide feedback to the Project Engineering Manager on design progress, budget and schedule.
- Provide technical and commercial direction to Engineers in relation to design quality, design schedules and design budgets.
- Prepare and review feasibility study documentation and estimates.
- Assist engineering management to assess the suitability of staff and identify the key resources for specific projects / studies.
- Ensure designs produced are cost effective and optimal in terms of constructability, maintainability, serviceability, and safe operation.
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects.
- Review tenders and produce technical adjudications / recommendations.
- Review Contractor documentation for compliance with project specifications.
- Analyse feedback from fabricators and construction personnel to improve performance.
- Oversee and conduct site inspections.
- Provide technical support during construction.
- Conduct regular design group meetings within a project / study context.
- Provide timely reports regarding all discussions held and progress made. Ensure all project correspondence is recorded.
- Allocate work and provide technical assistance to discipline Engineers and Designers.
- Input into progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Work closely with consultants, other disciplines and Project/Study Managers to ensure that clients’ objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Drive professional development of direct reports and other less experienced staff members.
Location (country, city): Harare, Zimbabwe
Job Qualification & Experience:
- Advanced understanding of design principles.
- Primary handling of ores with respect to mineral processing.
- All aspects of process plants design and operation.
- Industry codes/standards and interdepartmental practices and procedures.
- Pricing, tendering and budgeting principles, tools and control.
- Safety consciousness and application of good practice health and safety.
- Good understanding of best practises in the mining industry.
- Project construction, supervision, commissioning and handover.
- Listening to, interpreting and understanding feedback from clients and team members.
- The ability to work under pressure and to achieve deadlines.
- Organisational skills, planning, project management and prioritising ability.
- Exceptional knowledge with IT functions like MS Office.
- Strong client focus.
- Ability to lead mechanical engineering tasks on a project, within the allocated budget and schedule, including mentoring and guidance of junior colleagues.
- Professional interaction with other project disciplines.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Develop innovative solutions.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Understanding of the mining, minerals processing and metals industry and associated equipment.
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum 8 years’ experience as a Civil or Structural Engineer with Steel, Mechanical, Piping and Plate work, preferably within the mining and minerals industry.
- Understanding and knowledge of project management fundamentals.
- AutoCAD/3D modelling experience.
- Advanced management of work packages across a portfolio of project activities.
- Experience and understanding of costing in civil projects and knowledge and use of new technology simulations.
- ECSA/ZIE registered as Pr.Eng a prerequisite.
- Dynamic analysis and design experience.
- Site experience: construction and commissioning.
- Technical competence in terms of core engineering theory from first principles and ability to extend theory to new and complex problems.
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of Word, Excel spreadsheets and discipline-related applications/software.
- Strong analytical, literacy and numerical skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven effective leadership skills and ability to work within a multidisciplinary team.
- Understanding of South African and common International standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector.
- Good commercial awareness / risk management skills.
Multi-disciplinary ‘total solutions provider’ built on a solid foundation of a group of engineers and support professionals with over 100 years of combined experience in engineering, construction, maintenance, and infrastructure development across multiple industries in South and Sothern Africa.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Civil and Structural Engineer (ECSA / ZIE Pr.Eng) with 8+ years’ EPCM experience in Mining and Mineral Processing – Harare, Zimbabwe – Ref: 121043-4
Civil and Structural Engineer
To view our other job listings, click here.