Toolmakers with 5+ years of experience in the automotive stamping plant / press shop environment required! Other important requirements include: N3 and Trade Test, 3+ years in A-class surface dies (e.g. boot, bonnet, door panel, etc.), ability to read tooling and product drawings, good knowledge of welding, tool steel properties and heat treatment parameters, etc. Willing to work rotating shifts and weekends.
Reports to: Process Coach / Toolroom Manager)
Travel required: No
Primary purpose: Deliver the best Tool & Die to produce a high-quality product at the required rate according to specification. Manufacture, maintain and modify Press tools, Jigs, and Fixtures according to company standards and requirements.
Responsibilities / accountabilities:
- Perform safety inspections using corporate tools and conduct safety talks, Identify and ensure that safety hazards and unsafe practices are promptly corrected.
- Conduct test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications; make adjustments as necessary.
- Cut, shape, and trim blanks or blocks to specified lengths or shapes, using power saws, shears, rules, and hand tools.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Lift, position, and secure machined parts or die components using hoists and overhead cranes.
- Measure, mark, and scribe metal or plastic stock to lay out machining, using instruments such as protractors, micrometers, scribes, and rulers.
- Select metals to be used from a range of metals based on properties such as hardness and heat tolerance.
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine (CNC/MECOF) tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- Set up and operate drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Study blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Inspect and class finished part appearance against a master sample.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Understanding draw die forming, maintenance of beads, trim steels and pierce operations.
- Set pyrometer controls of heat-treating furnaces, and feed or place parts, tools, or assemblies into furnaces to harden.
- Do preventative maintenance according to instruction (WES) as scheduled. Report nonconformance.
- Support production with press and assembly related down time.
- Actively partake in your role to improve FPS.
- Support continuous improvement actions with press die, press and assembly process
Location (country, city): Pretoria, Gauteng
Job Qualification & Experience:
N3 and Toolmaker trade certificate with at least 5 years’ experience in Automotive stamping plant.
- Proficient draw die forming knowledge.
- 3 years’ experience with A class surface dies.
- Ability to read tooling and product drawings.
- Proficient welding skills.
- Knowledge of tool steel properties and heat-treating parameters.
- Ability to work any shift as well as rotating shifts and weekends
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Automotive Toolmakers required for OEM Stamping Plant / Press Shop – Pretoria – Ref: 1205825
To view our other job listings, click here