We are looking for an Assistant Mass Metrology to repair, calibrate and maintain the balances and weighing modules within the smelter, service yard and refinery.
This is a 6-month fixed term contract position and preference will be given to a candidate with a completed tertiary qualification in Mass Metrology (degree or diploma).
Job overview: The purpose of this role is to repair, calibrate and maintain the balances and weighing modules within the smelter, service yard and refinery. The purpose of this maintenance is to ensure minimal downtime of equipment.
Type: Contract (6 months fixed term)
Levels of authority:
Financial impact: R5mil – Order of spares
People (how many employees does the position manage): None
Business process: Authorisation to stop the plant due to maintenance.
External customers: • Service providers – Customers • Engineering companies
Internal customers: • Supervisors – Foreman and Colleagues • Fabrication • FSD • Metrology • Laboratory
- Decisions about best method, operation, route or tools to get the job done
- Always ensure that fault finding and decisions made before executing
Diversity of work
- Carries out a technical function
Types of communication
- Foreman – Service providers – Customers – Process leaders
Key performance areas and indicators
- Ensure that the Balances and weighing modules are in working order in order to minimise downtime and faults in the refinery or smelter.
- Regularly perform proactive maintenance and calibrations on Balances and Weighing modules to deter any failures in adherence with scheduling.
- Regularly perform planned maintenance and calibrations on Balances and Weighing modules to deter any failures in adherence with scheduling.
- Identify, repair and perform effective maintenance, calibrations on Balances and Weighing modules timeously and accurately
- Assist others where necessary in the maintenance of equipment and machinery and train other staff on the job where required.
- Effectively supervise supporting staff/assistants.
- Generation of calibration certificates
- Analysis of calibration data. Elimination of information and data errors.
- Implementation of the ISO17025 requirements.
- Installation and configuration of weighing modules.
- Strictly adhere to all SHEQ legislation regarding safety and machine maintenance. Produce safety cards as required.
- Regularly perform lockouts on systems where required
- Liaise with buyers where necessary to ensure that the correct equipment and spares are available at all times for the plant.
- Source parts, spares and equipment for general maintenance and all projects ensuring cost efficiency and accuracy of components and add technical input where required
Location: Germiston, Gauteng
Job Qualification & Experience:
Education & relevant years job related experience
- Tertiary qualification (degree, diploma or national certificate) and up to 5 years’ experience in maintenance or manufacturing plant
- N4 minimum N5 preference
- Mass Metrology Certificate (obtained from National Laboratory Association)
- Advantage if the candidate is a qualified Verification Officer
Dimensions, skills and knowledge
- Calibration and repair of the balances and the Weighing Modules knowledge – Able to understand and correctly apply good techniques to construction
- Knowledge of planned and emergency maintenance – Able to solve repair and maintenance problems
- Compliance certification – Able to ensure that the balances and the Weighing Modules are maintained in compliance with standards and regulations
- Fault finding knowledge – Able to identify and rectify faults on the balances and the Weighing Modules
- Tool knowledge – Discern which tools would be most appropriate.
- Preferably experience in steel or precious metal industry (at least 5 years’ experience)
- Ability to transfer technical knowledge to fellow employees
- Guiding and coaching junior employees
Sufficient / in depth, knowledge of:
- Computer literate
- MS office
Having been in operation for almost a century our client has grown from a local refiner to a globally recognised precious metals leader. They received global accreditation and international referee status.
They enjoy exceptional long-term loyalty from their people – their family; all with outstanding talent and immense experience.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Assistant Mass Metrologist (6-month FTC), Germiston – Ref: 1204104-4
Assistant Mass Metrologist
To view our other job listings, click here.