This globally recognised, precious metals leader is looking to appoint an Account Sourcing / Marketing Manager to sell their refining / smelter services to mining houses. Your main KPI’s will include winning business (sales/business development), customer relationship management (maintaining current relationships and developing relationships with depositors), regulatory compliance as well as contract management.
You will support the sourcing of feedstock for the smelter / refinery on a sustainable basis in compliance with the LBMA Responsible Gold and Silver Guidance requirements. Develop, nurture and sustain strong and durable partnerships with key potential and existing depositors. Take responsibility for, and manage, a portfolio of depositors in terms of customer service, queries, opportunities and special projects. Expand and develop the current information network (electronic resources, vendor & depositor relationships, etc.) and provide insightful and actionable market intelligence (e.g. pricing, tenders, opportunities). Interface and collaborate across various functions at the company (e.g. operations, sampling & evaluation, finance & treasury, procurement & creditors, SHEQ) in delivering on sourcing initiatives. Interact directly with current and potential clients under minimal supervision, being cognisant of the required etiquette and nature of the business relationship.
The ideal incumbent will have 5 years of experience within a marketing, trading, sourcing, evaluation, customer relationship management (CRM) environment and / or experience in the precious metals industry. A metallurgical background and/or qualifications with an understanding of the source of refinery and smelter feedstocks and the drivers that determine their characteristics (e.g. ore & extractive metallurgy) would be beneficial. You will also have a good understanding of procurement (logistics, receiving, evaluation and supply chain), an understanding of materials handling, sampling and assaying techniques / issues, and be familiar with legislative and responsible sourcing requirements.
- Support the sourcing of feedstock for the smelter and refinery on a sustainable basis in compliance with the LBMA Responsible Gold and Silver Guidance requirements and Corporate Strategy & Policy.
- Develop, nurture and sustain strong and durable partnerships with key potential and existing depositors.
- Take responsibility for, and manage, a portfolio of depositors in terms of customer service, queries, opportunities and special projects.
- Expand and develop the current information network (electronic resources, vendor & depositor relationships, etc.) and provide insightful and actionable market intelligence (e.g. pricing, tenders, opportunities).
- Interface and collaborate across various functions at the company (e.g. operations, sampling & evaluation, finance & treasury, procurement & creditors, SHEQ) in delivering on sourcing initiatives.
- Interact directly with current and potential clients under minimal supervision, being cognisant of the required etiquette and nature of the business relationship.
- To be able to conduct and manage customer relations, sales, business development, and due diligence / compliance activities.
Levels of authority:
- Financial Impact:
- Revenue derived from smelter and refinery feed materials (R96 million refinery and R66 million smelter)
- In terms of Responsible Gold, the company is audited as part of its membership to the LBMA loss of this registration would be catastrophic.
- People (how many employees the position manages):
- None, the candidate must be a self starter and able to influence others.
- The candidate will work closely with the Sourcing Risk and Compliance Officer and the Sourcing Administrator and will report top the Head of Sourcing & Business Development.
- Business Process (to take direct responsibility for):
- Compiling and publishing the monthly sourcing report for the smelter or refinery.
- Review the work performed by the Risk and Compliance Officer: Sourcing relating to onboarding and Responsible Gold checks and provide recommendations to the Customer Risk and Compliance Committee (CCRC) input.
- Conduct market studies as mandated by the Head: Sourcing and Business Development.
- Plan, book and conduct site visits as needed (mainly Africa and South Africa).
- Attend to customer queries (pricing, pre-payments, contract details) and where necessary perform reconciliations.
- Prepare offers / respond to tenders as requested by Head: Sourcing and Business Development.
- Assist in back office work on certain clients (KYC, KYP responsible gold, profitability, etc.)
- Interact directly with auditors on responsible gold audits (attend to requests for information).
- Interact directly with mid- to low-level / supply chain staff for key customers (request for information, routing, queries).
- Drive continuous improvement in the area of sourcing, document management, automation of workflow, and market intelligence / databases.
- Maintain the expiry diary on all contracts and have insight into contractual terms and conditions.
- Insight and recommendation on the on-boarding of new customers (depositors, purchasers and Krugerrand dealers).
- Finalising contracts and amendments (with the support of legal template) for customers upon a change in pricing, terms, etc.
- Set-up and maintain one or more of the sourcing department’s software tools (e.g. DMS system, Market Intelligence System, Media Monitoring System, SAP pricing system, WorldCheck, Dun & Bradstreet, etc.)
- Directly Responsible:
- Co-ordinate timing & transport agreements
- Process contract inquiries
- Resolve non contract performance
- Sourcing monthly reporting
- Implement annual pricing
- Prepare for regulatory audit / inspection
- Identify and respond to tenders & opportunities
- Assess new technologies & innovations
- Forecast short, medium and long term depositor volumes
- Identify and develop markets
- Develop pricing strategies and pricing tables / model
- Identify and monitor regulatory changes
- Monitor and assess industry trends (volumes, market pricing, new mines)
- Calculate and motivate annual pricing
- Negotiate / re-negotiate contract & pricing
- Approve / release contracts
- Load credit notes
- Review and approve depositor & purchaser due diligence / onboarding
- Conduct site visits
- Conduct sale, EOI, tender for refinery waste
- Co-ordinate and consolidate market response
- Leave relief for Head: Sourcing and Business Development in terms of sourcing responsibilities, and able to perform some of the duties of the Risk and Compliance Officer as needed.
- External customers:
- Will be mandated to interact with select clients as needed (depositors, purchasers, and shareholders, etc.)
- Will typically be at a middle management level and lower.
- Will be very active handling customer queries (invoice / pricing queries, increases / price changes, timing and pre-payment requests).
- Internal customers:
- Sourcing = Head: Sourcing and Business Development (direct reporting line, set focus areas and targets)
- Sourcing = Risk and Compliance Officer: Sourcing (contracts, KYC/KYP, OTC process and pricing maintenance)
- Finance = management accountants (cost of production)
- Operations = engineers (product routing, process options, feedstock timing, novel materials to source, sourcing requirements)
- Evaluation = sample and evaluation team (time of release, material characteristics and requirements, rejections and returns)
- Treasury = traders (timing of payments, mode of payment, pre-payments)
- Responsible Gold Officer = LBMA audits, due diligence KYC / KYP
- Legal = legal officers (contracts, legal terms in contracts)
Key Performance Areas and Indicators:
- Winning business:
- Use and develop the current market intelligence network to identify and respond to threats and opportunities.
- Respond to tenders and opportunities timeously within the agreed pricing / profitability framework and contract structure / commercial terms.
- Interact with vendors (transporters) and internal resources (e.g. logistics & vault) in finalising in-bound transport pricing and timing queries.
- Work in cross-functional teams in developing and realising sourcing opportunities for the company (e.g. copper slimes, mercury carbons).
- Customer relationship management – maintaining current relationships and developing relationships with depositors:
- Negotiate / renegotiate contract and pricing.
- Managing a portfolio of depositing and purchasing customer enquiries / interactions and provide appropriate information and solutions from across the organisation.
- When required, conduct root cause analysis / track and trace as regards the order to cash process (e.g. incorrect invoicing, pricing conditions etc.) and solve or escalate as necessary.
- Educate customers on the legalities of dealing in gold and precious metals.
- Interact directly with customers in regards to queries that they may have.
- Ensure that customer queries that require technical, specific production, evaluation feedback is given timeously.
- Ensure that any feedback given to customers is accurate, and sensitive information is dealt with appropriately.
- Take part in co-ordinating customer’s information updates (e.g. addresses, contact details).
- Once approval is obtained, interact in on-boarding new customers.
- Regulatory compliance – know your customer and know your product:
- Develop and continuously improve the relevant policies and procedures as regards KYC / KYP.
- Take part in managing sourcing risks and stay abreast of best practice in this regard.
- Conduct the required site visits and provide the relevant reports with market and customer insight.
- Contract management:
- Develop an understanding of the company’s contracts and its database.
- Review of customer’s contract terms (pricing and periods) on a minimum of an annual basis.
- Ensure that management is proactively advised on customer’s contracts that are due for expiry in order to generate or start negotiations with customers (own the expiry diary and notify of expiry 2 months before time).
- Hold customers to account in terms of their contractual obligations, while also ensuring the company meets its obligations.
- Smelter and refinery intake budgeting.
- Cost centre budgeting.
- Compile the monthly sourcing report.
- Run each campaign projects from a pricing / contracts point of view.
- Generate responsible content (risk management) and compiling the CCRC report.
- The incumbent will ensure that appropriate (properties and commerciality) feedstock, within defined parameters determined by the company, is identified and sourced.
- The incumbent will operate in the guidelines and delegated authority provided by the Head: Sourcing and Business Development.
Diversity of work:
- Is a key part of sourcing, achieving its objectives of sustainable profitable sourcing for the smelter and refinery.
Types of communication:
- Smelter refinery operations team – knowledge, information transfer. Contractual terms and conditions.
- Evaluation – knowledge and information transfer (timing).
- Treasury- knowledge and information transfer (timing).
- Logistics Manager and Vault Manager – shipment arrangements (timing).
- Finance – knowledge and information transfer (pricing, profitability).
- Customers – understanding and information transfer (queries, pricing).
Intensity / Timing:
June– assist in cost centre budgeting
May – assist in year-end volume budgets
July – annual year end letters
August / Sept – increase letters and SAP pricing updates
Sept / Oct – LBMA responsible gold audit
Nov – quarterly end letters
Feb – half year end letters
May – quarterly end letters
Bi Monthly – CCRC pack input
Year round – KYC / KYP, on boarding, pricing condition maintenance
Jan / Feb – Annual Responsible Gold Due Diligence / policy review & update
Oct / Nov – Annual Krugerrand Due Diligence / policy review & update
Quarterly (for the mine) – assist enable pre-payment & logistics optimisation
Monthly – Monthly (volume) sourcing reports
Location: Germiston, Gauteng
Job Qualification & Experience:
Preference will be given to candidates:
- that have 5 years of experience within a marketing, trading, sourcing, evaluation, customer relationship management (CRM) environment and / or experience in the precious metals industry.
- that understand the smelting and refining processes.
- with logistics, receiving, evaluation and supply chain knowledge.
- with an understanding of materials handling and sampling & assaying techniques / issues.
- that are familiar with legislative and responsible sourcing requirements.
- with an understanding of the source of refinery and smelter feedstocks and the drivers that determine their characteristics (e.g. ore & extractive metallurgy).
The candidate must be a self-starter and able to work in a consistent, logical manner, with minimal supervision and remain objective and calm.
Additional experience and qualifications above the minimum requirements will be to the applicant’s advantage.
Dimensions, skills and knowledge (ability to):
- Financial acumen: Able to understand detailed accurate calculations, risk assessments on on-boarding of new customers.
- Customer relationship management: Able to build trusting and honest customer relations.
- Advanced computer literacy: SAP and Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent professional communication skills.
- Administrative skills: Able to propose, design, implement and execute business processes.
- Problem solving skills: Able to identify and rectify problems quickly.
- Negotiation skills: Comfortable in dealing with clients & vendors.
- Contract management: basic understanding of contract law and the commercial structure of contracts.
Sufficient / in depth, knowledge of:
- Computer knowledge (MS office –Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- ERP knowledge (SAP)
- Database construction (Access, Excel Macros)
- Document management systems (SAP DMS, Isometrix, SharePoint)
- Market intelligence (Thompson Reuters, GFMS etc.)
- Financial & numerical acumen – be able to do budgeting, profitability, market sizing calculations.
Having been in operation for almost a century our client has grown from a local refiner to a globally recognised precious metals leader. They received global accreditation and international referee status.
They enjoy exceptional long-term loyalty from their people – their family; all with outstanding talent and immense experience.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR
Account Sourcing / Marketing Manager (EE) – Precious Metals, Smelting and Refining – Germiston, Gauteng – Ref: 1204104
Account Sourcing / Marketing Manager
To view our other job listings, click here.