Member of EXCO.
As an HR business partner (HRBP) actively integrate the business strategy with people management practices. Enable the company to operate at both operational and corporate levels to deliver both short and long-term objectives.
The Key roles as a Strategic HR Partner:
- Understanding how HR can support the business
- Refocusing organizational structure on strategic objectives
- Understanding the talent needs of the business before they impact the delivery of key objectives
- Adjusting HR strategies to respond to changing business needs
- Prioritizing HR needs across the business
- Creating a vision for talent strategy in the business
- Assessing the HR implications of strategic options
Job description / core competencies:
The Main Purpose – contribute to the achievement of business and transformation objectives, lead the HR team, develop the human resources action plan, aligned with the Company’s business plan, benchmarks.
Key Area 1: Organization Development
- Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation to create an enabling environment for high performance
- Designs, directs, and manages a company-wide process of organization development that addresses succession planning, superior workforce development, key employee retention, organization design, and change management;
- Evaluates company structure, job design, and personnel forecasting throughout the company. Makes recommendations to executive management on any changes and their associated impacts.
- Coach and mentor business leaders (Department Managers) to become adept at handling overall HR‐related issues to create an environment whereby Managers effectively manage their human resources
- Implementing the performance management system and remuneration and reward policies;
- Identifies and monitors the organization’s culture so that it supports the attainment of the company’s goals and promotes employee satisfaction.
- Ensuring the recruitment and selection of employees with skills and competencies to enable performance in line with the company’s business objectives.
Key Area 2: Compliance
Manages HR compliance with all labour and employment legislation, the requirements of the Social and Labour Plan, and the Mining Charter, through:-
- Developing and implementing compliant HR policies, procedures, and systems;
- Monitoring and reporting on HR compliance in all departments of the company;
- Ensuring that all statutory reporting requirements are met and initiating corrective action where necessary.
Key Area 3: Remuneration and Benefits
- Establishes the company wage and salary structure, pay policies, and oversees the variable pay systems within the company including bonuses and raises in collaboration with the payroll function.
- Leads competitive market research to establish pay practices and pay bands that help to recruit and retain superior staff.
- Leads participation in at least one salary survey per year. Monitors best practices in compensation and benefits through research and up-to-date information on available products
- With the assistance of the CFO, obtains cost-effective, employee-serving benefits; monitors national benefits environment for options and cost savings.
- Leads the development of benefit orientations and other benefits training for employees and their families.
- Recommends changes in benefits offered, especially new benefits aimed at employee satisfaction and retention.
Key Area 4: Board and Remuneration Committee
- Provides expert advice/services to the Remco in relation, but not limited, to remuneration trends and benefits; succession planning; employee relations and any other strategic or policy matters that require REMCO and Board approval.
- Generate reports and presentations to REMCO on a frequent basis to keep them updated on the human resource function developments
Key Area 5: Development of the Human Resources Function
- Leads the development of department goals, objectives, and systems. Provides leadership for Human Resources strategic planning.
- Position HR as a strategic business partner with the other departments by providing timely and complete service to the business.
- Accountable for the development of long‐term HR‐related plans and budgets (annual budget, 5‐year resource forecast, etc.)
- Establishes HR departmental measurements and reports that support the accomplishment of the company’s strategic goals.
- Develops and administers programs, procedures, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the company.
- Participates in executive, management, and company staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Establishes an in-house employee training system that addresses company training needs including training needs assessment, new employee onboarding or orientation, management development, functional cross-training, the measurement of training impact, and training transfers.
- Utilizes the HR information systems to eliminate administrative tasks, empower employees, and meet the needs of the organization.
Key area 6: Stakeholder Management
- Partners with departmental and functional head to create an enabling environment for employees to thrive in the roles in order to deliver sustainable results.
- Liaises with regional and national organised labour structures to achieve a harmonious employee relations environment.
- Participates in community engagement sessions and delivers reports on employment and other related matters.
- Liaises with relevant regulatory authorities to position the human resource function.
- Represents the company on external bodies/agencies as required.
- Remuneration Committee: Provides and/or arranges provision of expert advice, reports and/or services;
- Management and supervision: Provides advice on company HR policy and procedures; and supports with practical advice and/or assistance on generally practically accepted best people practices;
- Employees: Provides advice and practical assistance in matters relating to terms/conditions and benefits of employment.
- Community leadership, local authorities, and educational institutions: Represents the company as an employer of choice;
- Other employers: Relationship building and information sharing;
- Regulatory authorities: Relationship building to position UMK as a good corporate citizen.
Location (country, city): Mine: Northern Cape, Head office: Gauten
Job Qualification & Experience:
Appropriate B degree with professional registration and to be eligible for registration as a Commissioner of Oaths, plus 8 to 10 years’ experience in senior HR roles
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to operate as a business partner in a dual reporting relationship; with an above average emotional intelligence to manage two reporting relationships whilst delivering on their annual objectives for the business.
- Thorough grasp of the mining environment and associated complexities.
- Communicating organizational culture to employees
- Designing HR programs to support organisational culture
- Tracking trends in employee behaviour
- Keeping the line updated on HR initiatives
- Demonstrable action planning and project management skills;- the ability to solve problems using step by step approaches such as project management in order to solve problems.
- Demonstrable managerial skills (planning, leading, organising, controlling);
- Values Alignment – high levels of integrity. Demonstrable alignment to integrity is essential). – have the ability to mobilise your department and the organisation around the values of the organisation.
Employee mediation – to lead small-scale talent initiatives that may be conflict-prone, such as performance calibration sessions, pay increase conversations, etc. Negotiation skills are an essential part of the HRM repertoire of skills.
- Managing competing personalities in the organization
- Managing conflict between employees and between managers
- Responding to organizational changes
- Resolving people related (political) problems in the execution of business plans
- Responding to complaints in a speedy manner
- Responding to employee needs timeously
- Preparing for different situations
Responding to line manager questions and needs
Communication – The ability to develop clear and concise reports across all levels of the organisations and be able to communicate clearly is a key requirement.
Report writing skills at EXCO/Committee/Board level;
Professional, excellent verbal and written communication in English. Knowledge of one of the most commonly spoken languages locally will be an added advantage;
Demonstrated ability to serve as a knowledgeable resource to the executive management team that provides overall company leadership and direction;
Interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching skills;
Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft environment; must include knowledge of Excel, Word, Powerpoint and skills in Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS).
Communication and networking skills at senior level.
- Strategic thinker;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Conceptual ability;
- Able to deal with complexity;
- Development orientated.
Challenges and demands of the job
How to relate recognition and reward to performance in the form of policy which is acceptable to Remuneration Committee, Senior Management, and the employees concerned;
How to reconcile the apparently conflicting aims of organised labour, union, and management at a policy level; and ensure that the spirit of the policy is supported in day-to-day interactions between people working in a pressured environment.
A fully operational mine and processing plant with the latest infrastructure – ore production over 3 million tons per year and growing.
Community Empowerment is an integral part of the company. They have invested generously in the small business development, healthcare, and education sectors within the communities they operate within.
In the CEO’s words: “A diverse and inclusive culture, with attention to detail and a sense of urgency, supports the company’s Mission Statement, which is supported by the company’s values being integrity, empowerment, collaboration and sustainability”.
This advert is being advertised in collaboration with our recruitment partner MCHIR.
Human Resource Manager (EE) (Part of the EXCO Team) for a Major South African Mine based in Hotazel in the Northern Cape.Ref Ref: 744856-1
Human Resource Manager (EE)
To view our other job listings, click here