Ref: 63714Nationality: South African
Highest Formal Qualification: B.Sc. Electro-mechanical engineer, ECSA - Professional Engineer (Pr Eng), PMI - Project Management Professional (PMP)
Annual Package Range: ZAR 1.35 mil - 1.5 mil
Total years experience: 20-30 Years
Current / most recent job title?
Senior Project Manager
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
Once a contract has been received from the proposals department I assign a project manager to implement the project. For larger projects I’m also often the project manager while still overseeing the other projects via the project manager. I’m therefore take overall responsibility for the implementation of the the companies projects (profitability, schedule achievement, safety and quality).
2. Core elements or functions that must operate effectively in order to achieve primary purpose:
1. Ensure that the projects or profitable, in other words ensure that the correct cost control procedures are at heard to and take action where problem areas arise.
2. Schedule achievement – ensure that the projects are completed on time; regular review meetings
3. Project quality assurance – is completed to the correct standard
4. Risk compliance – ensure that the correct statuary and health and safety standards are maintained
5. Contractual management – ensure that the various contracts are correctly managed and that all contractual controls are in place.
3. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
The biggest impact made in a project is during the early life cycle of a project as this is where the most expensive/critical decisions are made and it is during this early stage where my ability to guide and manage a team to the correct decision has been proven.
I therefore believe in taking complex problems head on and have a passion for decision making (whilst evaluating the risks of that decision). I also believe this cannot be done in isolation and therefore place a lot of emphasis on stake holder management.
4. Ideal business title:
1. Head of Projects – Managing a project division in an organisation
2. Senior project manager – managing large scale projects from developmental phase (feasibility studies) to implementation
5. Key responsibilities and accountabilities of ideal position:
Managing a technical team
Project management with the typical accountabilities of project management namely: safety, quality, cost and schedule.
Responsible for key decisions affecting the outcome of project are feasibility studies.
6. Skill area of competence:
Projects controls management
Risk management (Qualitative & quantitative)
Contracts management (FIDIC and NEC)
Resolving complex problems
Decision making abilities
Knowledge across all engineering disciplines
7. Career summary:
24 years Cement – 8 years operational (mining and manufacturing, 3 years technical (head office), 13 years project management (head office)
3 years Engineering – 3 years EPC project management
Completing large scale projects from conceptual phase through to commissioning. This means taking a project from when it is in a business development phase and evaluating various scenarios such as in which country, location, environmental studies and technical options. The various business cases are then evaluated and a solution proposed. Then taking it through board approval and arranging project financing. Finally project implementation and commissioning. This was the process for my successful implementation of PPC Cement’s green fields cement milling operation in Harare.
9. What do you absolutely love doing?
I love playing golf and do so often with my family. In terms of work resolving complex solutions and making difficult decisions is a passion of mine. Technically I also love getting involved in the engineering reviews; this however needs to be managed as many unsuccessful project managers get to involved in the technical detail and forget to project manage.
10. Ideal company (culture and values):
I spent 24 years in the corporate world and would not mind returning to it, however any company with a value system which has integrity and respect. I have of late had to deal with firms (customers) where, in my opinion, integrity was lacking and therefore would place this of utmost importance in terms of the company I would like to work for.
If you are looking for a project leader with excellent leadership skills, excellent at implementing projects throughout the entire life cycle of a project from the conceptual phase through to commissioning for small- and large-scale projects, then do get in touch. Click to email our Agent or call us: Head Office – Gauteng, SA. + 27 10 597 0862.
Searchable spreadsheet of candidates: (#engineering_candidates) http://bit.ly/CarynVPs
All available positions (#job_search) http://bit.ly/CarynJA
Register as a (#technical_candidate) http://bit.ly/CarynInc
Enshrine Placements your Technical and Engineering Recruitment Partner in Africa.