Ref: 961613Nationality: South African
Highest Formal Qualification: BSc. Eng (Metallurgy & Materials Eng)
Other Formal Qualification: ECSA - Candidate Engineer
Annual Package Range: ZAR 651 000 - 750 000, per annum
Total years experience: 6-10 Years
Current / most recent job title?
Metallurgist / Lab Manager
Motivation of suitability for your ideal position:
I am a purpose driven and enthusiastic Metallurgical Engineer with vast experience in the area of quality systems management and provision of metallurgical services/support to production, manufacturing and general engineering design for metallic / steel alloy products. I am looking for a challenging opportunity in a reputable organisation that provides a platform that enables individuals to fully utilize their skills & creativity to continuously develop relevant innovative solutions towards continuous development to enable organisations to safely navigate through the current economic climate marred with a lot of uncertainty, and with potential for growth and good support for personal development. My line of thinking has been moulded into one that naturally & continuously focus on looking for ways minimize deviations from set standard procedures & also continuous improvement. I have on a day to day basis worked with a wide range of engineering materials, where extensive testing and metallurgical evaluations to international specifications formed the core of the practices. these were all in support of production for a large number of engineering firms.
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
Management of the quality department / division to ensure the company remains complaint to the quality management standards, and drive operations and grow sales to ensure the business’ self sustenance.
2. Core elements or functions that must operate effectively in order to achieve primary purpose:
The day-to-day operations must be effective and efficient as all activities carried out are time bound, the quality manual must be up to date and compliant to the most recent quality standard, new business must be brought in old customers/business retained, the services must be accordingly repriced to ensure profitability. This requires constant research of the market space and understanding of how services of the competitors are structured.
3. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
I am very patient and careful in my approach to my responsibilities, I naturally prefer understanding how things work beforehand as this helps improve my chances of success in my endevours. Obviously these are skills developed over the years. I have an unwavering passion for growing things, improving processes.
4. Ideal business title:
Quality Control / Assurance Engineer or Manager, Product Quality Specialist or Metallurgical Engineer
5. Key responsibilities and accountabilities of ideal position:
Quality assurance / control. Product quality & continuous improvement. Product quality development and sales. After sales and technical support.
6. Skill area of competence:
- QA / QC
- Sales and business development
- Manager / Team Leader
- Mechanical lab management (application of the ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 quality system)
- Metallurgical failure analysis and reporting
- Metallographic/microstructural evaluations (ASTM technical standard systems) & interpretation
- Mechanical testing (Tensile, Izod & Charpy, micro and macro hardness in accord with ASTM standard systems)
- Carburisation case depth evaluation (according to SAE J423)
- Chemical/spectrometric analysis / evaluation / alloy identification
- Materials certifications (ASTM system and other international technical standards for a wide range of alloy / carbon steels)
- Evaluation of heat treatment processes (Hardening, Normalising, Annealing, Austempering, Carburising / Case Hardening, Tempering)
- Data handling and analysis
- Microsoft Word (advanced), Excel (advanced), PowerPoint (advanced), Communication (oral, presentation), SAP (beginner) and development of technical reports
7. Career summary:
- Highly motivated and efficient Metallurgical Engineer with 5 – 6 years’ quality control / quality systems management as per ISO/IEC 17025 & ISO 9001 in the steel manufacturing sector
- 5 – 6 Years of metallurgical products quality evaluation and technical support to production (heat treatment, cast/foundry & rolled products, welded structures and forging) & certification as per BS EN/ISO/ASTM/ASME standards
- 5 – 6 Years of physical metallurgy / metallography practices, technical standards and specifications (BS EN/ISO/ASTM/ASME) interpretation & methods standardisation
- 4 – 5 Years of metallurgical failure investigations / analysis and reporting
- 3 – 4 Years of welder and procedure qualification tests (ASTM, ASME and AWS D & ISO)
- 3 – 4 Years of corrosion testing on stainless steels to detect susceptibility to intergranular corrosion
- 3 – 4 Years of measurements, uncertainty and budget development for results accuracy & optimisation
- 3 – 4 Years of quality manual & SOP’s development, maintenance and continuous improvement
- 2 – 3 Years of internal technical audits of methods / procedures, root cause analysis and management of non-conformances
- 4 – 5 Years of supervisory experience and management of capital equipment
- 2 – 3 Years of sales, business development and management
- 2 – 3 Years of managerial experience
- Sasol Medal of achievement in corrosion sciences – final year student with the best research in corrosion sciences
- Represented the School of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering (Wits) at the SAIMM Student Colloquium
- Increased the average monthly revenue by 53% within 7 months
- Developed a system for monitoring the monthly performance of the division
- Developed and standardised a quotation system that ensured consistency and uniformity in the quoting of services provided to customers
- Altered the pricing of certain methods to ensure profitability while preventing alienating customers
- Introduced and implemented the goal setting approach to continuous improvement.
- Standardised the calculations for corrosion tests and ferrite count to minimise publishing erroneous results to customers and cut down on time spent from the lengthy process
- Identified several inconsistencies between several lab practices and their relevant standards, rectified and standardised the procedures
9. What do you absolutely love doing?
Definitely problem solving and finding myself as a part of a bigger and long lasting solution.
10. Ideal company (culture and values):
Any company / organisation that considers the growth, well-being and the development of its employees as being instrumental to its growth.
If you are looking for a QA/QC (Systems) Engineer with over 5 years’ experience in engineering manufacturing, guided by the most stringent quality control standards (ISO 17025 & 9001) where rigorous audits of procedures and results produced is a primary requirement; having worked with a wide range of engineering materials where extensive testing and metallurgical evaluations to international specifications formed the core of the practices and all were sone in support of production for numerous engineering firms, then do get in touch. Click to email our Agent or call us: Head Office – Gauteng, SA. + 27 10 597 0862.
Searchable spreadsheet of candidates: #engineering_candidates http://bit.ly/DeedreVPs
All available positions #job_search http://bit.ly/DeedreJA
Register as a #technical_candidate http://bit.ly/DeedreInc
Enshrine Placements your Technical and Engineering Recruitment Partner in Africa.