Ref: 1175829Nationality: South African
Highest Formal Qualification: BSC Chemical Engineering
Professional Registration: ECSA - Candidate Certificated Engineer
Annual Package Range: South African Rand - ZAR 851 000 - 950 000, per annum
Total years experience: 11-15 Years
Process Engineer and Business Development Support seeks a position as Business Development Project Engineer (Cost optimization, Social management plans, Project risk evaluation Market intelligence), available for exploratory interviews. Ref: 1175829
Recipient of award for performance and support in business development and corporate affairs in the strategy department last year for one of the world’s largest publicly-traded engineering, procurement, construction (EPC) and maintenance companies. An American multinational FORTUNE 500®. And she was selected as the office Business Transformation and Innovation Ambassador this year.
Current / most recent job title?
Process Engineer and Business Development Support
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
Business Development support:
Responsibilities: market outlook research for specific sectors, identifying project opportunities, monitoring projects through phases, pricing model systems, project risk, assisting with proposal output, drafting social management plans and stakeholder management plans.
Project Integration Engineer:
Alignment of various projects under the same project portfolio
Ensuring completion of engineering deliverables
2. Core elements or functions that must operate effectively in order to achieve primary purpose:
Momentum to keep the ball rolling
3. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
I appreciate the opportunity to make a difference and place my mark, in contributing to something greater than me. When a team works together to achieve a common goal for the greater good. I specifically experience this working with a team on proposals and business case and strategy development for a project that will benefit and reach many people, as well as significantly uplift our economy.
4. Ideal business title:
5. Key responsibilities and accountabilities of ideal position:
Social management plans
Project risk evaluation
6. Skill area of competence:
Leadership – Harvard New Leader graduate (leadership essay selected to be read to the class in final session)
- Innovation (selected as Business Innovation ambassador for 2020)
- Business development (recipient of the award for performance and support in business development and corporate affairs last year)
- Project management (special mention for the project and team co-ordination during Project Management Bootcamp course in 2019)
- Selected a Project Integration Engineer across client integrated team project portfolio
7. Career summary:
Overall 11 years experience
2 years focus on business development support within the company.
Developed supplier quality document based on procedures, which is now used globally throughout the company
Designed closed drain system used on various other projects as a basis of design
Selected as Business Innovation ambassador for the company during 2020
Special mention in Project Management Bootcamp 2019 for team co-ordination and deliverable execution
Leadership essay selected to be read at Harvard New Leader course during 2019
9. What do you absolutely love doing?
Coming up with a new and better way to do things.
10. Ideal company (culture and values):
A culture that values and sees the benefits of diversity, where everyone can share and brainstorm ideas. A company that also respects procedures that protect us all.
Where would you like to be in your career in the next 5 to 10 years, what would you like to have achieved?
I see myself in excelling in a business development role, having learned specific key principles that can be used as a basis to enhance any business strategy approach – using this to set us apart from the competition.
I see myself confident in growing my experience and innovative capabilities in preparation to tackle challenging new business avenues. In this role, I see myself creating an inclusive platform that makes my team feel comfortable in sharing their knowledge and optimizing their individual strengths and performance for the team to achieve overall success. I aim to create a systematic approach (with unique material) that can be tailored to suit various proposals.
I have started to take some of the necessary steps to achieve this vision, such as:
- Research into new emerging markets such as power, and identifying overlapping markets and client interest
- Analyzing pricing modeling systems to identify areas for cost optimization
- Drafting sections of proposals inputs that set us apart and that fit the client’s focus areas
- Reviewing required project procedures to streamline project execution quality
Write down two achievements from primary school, two from high school, two during college/university, and two post-college/university, with at least one of the two business-related.
- Rescued stray animals and re-homed them
- Selected as a class monitor because my diligent approach
- Achieved distinctions in mathematics, science, and isiXhosa
- Participated in athletics and charity initiatives collecting funds for old aged homes
University (Business Related):
- While completing my degree at UCT, I worked part-time as a data capturer. Because I was extra efficient in capturing the data, my supervisor asked me to move on to assist with the data analysis, which included creating infographics that present the data in a meaningful way. This gave me a lot of insight as to how improvement processes are developed, based on what needs and results from the data analysis reveals.
- While completing my degree at UCT, I also worked part-time as a lab assistant in the bioprocessing laboratory. Originally, this role was designated to only prepare test runs and clean lab equipment. However, because I was efficient and diligent in my role, I progressed to stock take, assisting with the recording and analysis of the test
results as well as assisting with research associated with the study.
The two examples that I have provided demonstrate my strive for efficiency in every task that I do, and my willingness to always look for opportunities to optimize and expand on what I am doing.
Post Graduate Work Experience:
- I developed a supplier quality document inherent in company procedures, that streamlines the approach to maintaining supplier quality – this document is now used globally and received positive feedback from offices
around the world
- Selected to be part of the team that worked on the company American Chambers Application for the best Social Education Initiative
- Received an award for my support and performance in the business development and strategy department last year at my previous company, and was selected as the office Business Transformation and Innovation Ambassador this year
What’s the most interesting thing about you that’s not on your resume?
Listed below are initiatives that I have taken on in my personal capacity:
- I developed two games played by employees at my previous company, namely “Not Another Card Game”, and “Thrones of Fluor”. The turnout for these games was over 50% of the office staff, and it received much positive feedback with lots of laughs and tension release. The intention of the games was to 1.) Team building, to offer
employees a moment of fun and relaxation, and 2.) Share and discuss different ways of thinking and working towards building a sense of inclusivity and seeing the value in your fallow team member.
- I have been part of a mentoring program through the South African Education Project (SAEP) and my mentee still reaches out to me to this day whenever she needs advice or an ear to listen.
- I developed a very comprehensive roadmap featuring the transformation journey of my previous company, to be included as an addendum to proposals and available to company staff. The roadmap details the company’s commitment to transformation.
Tell me about a time when you had to get to the root cause of a problem to make a decision.
Listed below are examples of my experiences; the former examples are technical and the latter example can be seen as a soft skill learning experience:
The situation: Incorrect valve line-up of a piping network, which resulted in piping damaged, schedule delates and additional project costs
Root cause analysis and decision-making: I provided input into the root cause analysis study and the alternative design that was recommended. I also provided guidance on what the company’s strong points are in facing this challenge, which was our adherence to procedures and having a sound contract that makes us not liable for incurred costs
The situation: I was tasked to review and confirm applicable design conditions for a mining plant. After diving deep into performing this task, I found that the process data is not referenced, making it unreliable data to base a design on.
Root cause analysis and decision-making: After diving deep into performing this task, I found that the process data is not referenced, making it unreliable data to base a design on. The decision I made was to alert the quality department and to facilitate a workshop with all the necessary discipline leads to go through each of the concerned areas. I also drafted a process performance guarantee document, that highlighted who is the responsible party for each set of data – this document was included as an addendum to the signed contract.
- Soft Skills:
The situation: I was tasked with conducting an office survey about the perceptions of transformation, inclusivity and general well-being of employees
Root cause analysis and decision-making: I researched various ways to word sensitive, contentious questions that needed to be answered, and also consulted senior members for input on it. I set up the anonymous survey, and motivated staff to complete the survey. The survey received a fair amount of responses and highlighted areas of success and areas of concern. I then developed action strategies to address each of the concerns raised by the survey. A follow-up survey was meant to be completed later this year in order to track progress.
If you are looking for a Business Development Project Integration Engineer, with experience in market outlook research, identifying project opportunities, monitoring projects through phases, pricing model systems, project risk, assisting with proposal output, drafting social management plans and stakeholder management plans, alignment of various projects under the same project portfolio and ensuring completion of engineering deliverables then do get in touch. Click to email our Agent or call us: Head Office – Gauteng, SA. + 27 10 597 0862.
Searchable spreadsheet of candidates: #engineering_candidates http://bit.ly/CarynVPs
All available positions #job_search http://bit.ly/CarynJA
Register as a #technical_candidate http://bit.ly/CarynInc
Enshrine Placements your Technical and Engineering Recruitment Partner in Africa.